Hi,

I have been trying to read up on this but it seems I can't find anything. So forgive me if this has been answered before.

latest?cb=20170422193446

How do you actually do the “mirror gag” much like I attached here. I know skyfall was big budget, so if the answer is just masking and blue screen I get it, but I do know there are quite a few that has done this practical.

C

16 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

You either paint out the camera in VFX or you cut a camera port hole in the wall in the reflection and stick the lens through there... and paint out the hole in VFX.

Not that I know exactly how they did this.

I imagined such.

Thank you

I think a tilt shift lens could be used for a similar effect to this, allowing the camera to be positioned so its reflection doesn’t show, while having the image look square on. 

Could also crop a much wider angle lens that is pointing straight at the wall but above the line of the too of the mirror. 

23 minutes ago, Mei Lewis said:

I think a tilt shift lens could be used for a similar effect to this, allowing the camera to be positioned so its reflection doesn’t show, while having the image look square on. 

Could also crop a much wider angle lens that is pointing straight at the wall but above the line of the too of the mirror. 

A tilt shift lens might be able to compensate for diverging vertical or horizontal lines, but it can't physically be somewhere it's not. To get that perspective on the room, the camera/lens would be reflected in the mirror. A crop from a higher, wider angle would also not have the same perspective. The lens height on that shot is very clearly about level with their shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Yes you’re right. I just tried it. While it does give a straight on shot without a camera reflection, the perspective is still clearly from a point not in front of the mirror. 

I was just trying to work out camera height in that Bond shot. Providing the camera doesn’t move and they don’t lean across the table it would be very easy to paint out the reflection of the camera in post because that area of the frame would not change over time. 

Edited by Mei Lewis