Questions for other DPs (About lighting)

Stephen Sanchez

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

That was a morph during a 360 degree Steadicam move from night to day, so two plates.

I'm not sure a depth of field shift would be that important for an interior space because we've seen day interiors shot at T/2.8 before. However for practical reasons, opening up the iris might be necessary.  I've done it for scene where the room goes from light on to lights out with moonlight to see what's going on -- rather than "dim up" the moonlight during a cross-fade as the room lights go out, I sometimes have the moonlight always on but much dimmer than the room lights (which is realistic) and then when the lights go out, I open up the iris to simulate your eyes adjusting to the moonlight.

Ah yes, that’s the shot I was thinking of.

Great tip on the moonlight transition, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
6 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Re: recreating dappled light

Found this awhile ago and forgot about it until today: https://www.dedolightcalifornia.com/collections/eflect

Seems like it could be scaled up and possibly do the job? Very tempted to buy a minimal kit to try it out.

Reminds me of the rippling water in the Blade Runner scene where Deckard tests Rachael.

Since this relies on the misalignment between the individual mirror tiles, it seems like something that could be made pretty trivially. Mirror mosaic is easily available in sheets, even with a self-adhesive backing.

Otherwise, get some mirrored styrene and cut it up.

Googling around, I find there's some mirror mosaic sheet that has a random scattering of tiles in different finishes. Some are a hard mirror, some are a coarser texture, which might create an interesting hybrid effect.

P

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Very interesting. Just need to find some sort of flexible backing to stick it to.

Aluminium shim stock. Look for something "annealed" so it's soft.

The trick is gluing the stuff on so it doesn't crack the glue and fall off when you bend the sheet. It's almost like you want a layer of metal, a layer of some sort of medium-density foam, then the mirrors, so it has some give.

P