"Film bounces off that sheet and comes to life in the mind of the audience"

Prasad Kumar

I was reading some filmmaker quotes (https://scriptcat.wordpress.com/quote-for-today/) and I came across this one.

“It’s all about making sure the film bounces off that sheet and comes to life in the mind of the audience. What is a film outside the audience’s mind?”

—director George Stevens, Conversations with The Great Moviemakers of Hollywood’s Golden Age at the American Film Institute.

I don't understand what Mr. Stevens mean by "film bounces off that sheet and comes to life in the mind of the audience." Can someone please say what he means by that? Thanks.

12 hours ago, Kyryll Sobolev said:

he is just describing the projection process in the theater - projected film light bounces off the screen (sheet) and into audience eyes

Since the quote comes from a script writing blog I would say he is talking about the piece of paper/ sheet of paper where the script is.

It's where the film starts.
He is a director:

You have to take those words and bring them to life.

Edited by Ed Conley
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Prasad Kumar said:

Conversations with The Great Moviemakers of Hollywood’s Golden Age at the American Film Institute

Apropos of nothing, but this is a wonderful book! Wish I could find my copy and read it again, it’s somewhere in a giant pile of books in my house...

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Its a reference to the early way films were shown around the country , they were projected onto a white sheet ..often with the circus I believe.. 

Most of the interviews in the book reference the early silent days of Hollywood cinema, so you may be right!