Arri Alexa classic vs the XT: major differences?

omar robles

Hello group:

So while I am happy with my Alexa classic I have been seeing a lot of the ALexa XTs for sale at practically the same price point I paid for my classic.  It’s bothered me that if I had waited a year long I would have owned a newer version of the camera.  Out of curiosity besides the XT having a ton more inputs and connections, and the ability to record Arri raw in camera.  Are the image quality the same? Because in the end that’s what matters to me the most.

thanks

All ARRI cameras from the last 10 years use the same ALEV III image sensor (in a single, double or triple configuration, for S35, LF and 65), so you should not expect differences in the image itself between two ARRI cameras of the same format, especially if you record to ARRIRAW and not perform the actual image processing in-camera.

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/technology/alev-sensors

If I'm not mistaken the XT shoots 3.2k ProRes (upscaled slightly) and the Classic is limited to 2k (downscaled from approx 2.8k pixels). Of course not all lenses cover 3.2k. I believe the XT can also shoot 3.4k 1.55:1 ArriRAW.