Mobile Workstations - tech needed

charles meyer

Hi All,

My apologies if this isn't the proper forum for a discussion re: specs for a mobile workstation to video edit with DaVinci Resolve.

After reading many articles, blog posts, reviews I've distilled down the specs I think would be both robust but without busting a modest budget.

I'm grappling with various NVIDIA graphics cards. The NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2080Ti seems very powerful but I've read that GPU can generate a lot of heat (a significant threat to laptops - mobile workstations) and is very pricey.

The Th$e NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2080 seems like a viable alternative to the 2080Ti but it pushes the price of the mobile workstation beyond $5,000.

So, it would seem, the The NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2070 would be a good option. It seems it's about 25% slower than the  RTX 2080Ti but keeps the price for the mobile workstation under $4,000.

I'm coupling that GPU with an iCore 9 (10th generation) CPU, 32GB RAM and a 512GB SSD hard drive. I've got 2 TB external hard drive we can render to and save  on so a larger SSD isn't needed and BlackMagic lists 16GB RAM as sufficient so 32GB seems to do the trick for running other programs (e.g. graphics, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) while DaVinci Resolve is rendering which seems to tax the GPU and CPU most.

We need mobility as we use space to video record where a desktop could be situated instead of a mobile workstation (laptop).

I'd so appreciate others' experiences, thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you so much.

Well a few years ago I needed a laptop to do video editing when we were on the road I found a Asus GL703VD with an Nvidia GTX 1050 and 32GB of memory. An ssd and an hdd,

I'm not saying it's the best workstation and the fastest. Honestly when I work on something that's a little complex it feels like a drone lifting off. But I can do my job on the fly. 

It cost me about a $1,300 but I guess you've got a lot more to spend.

Davinci is a software that does need some resources but I still think that if you use it in the correct way it shouldn't matter. 

Good luck