Kinetal 17.5mm + Iscorama pre-36 for S16

M Joel W

I've posted this same question twice before in some form or another and apologize for repeating myself. But I'm curious if anyone has tried this combination.

The 17.5mm I suspect should cover and I have a wide angle adapter (the same one I think people use on Kowas) that would bring that to 14mm, which is wide enough for me.

But I'm not sure it would cover without trying it and am hesitant to buy such an expensive lens prospectively with no other use for it. The Schneider 18mm f1.8 Cinegon doesn't quite cover, but it has 82mm front threads so it's an odd fit. I tried a 16mm Mk 1 standard speed and 16mm f2 Cinegon and they did not cover but the standard speed was very close. So I am curious if anyone has tried this combination. I suppose the other candidate is the 18mm Kinoptik, which is even more expensive.

I think the Iscorama is actually a 1.42x stretch. So this is 2.35:1 exactly on S16. I think a dumb PL or Aaton mount adapter would lock the Kinetal at infinity, a problem for normal use, but this is desirable if shooting with an Iscorama.

3 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Can’t speak to the rest, but I think this is correct. I always use a 1.4x desqueeze in post with mine, and it looks right. 

That’s reassuring to hear! I don’t know where I came up with the extra .02 part. 

I think I should just take the plunge and buy a Kinetal and try it. There are other weird options like an Iscorama 54 and Rokinons, but sometimes the rabbit hole is too deep.

Are there any alternatives to V-Lite 16? Did Panavision make an S16 1.3X anamorphic at one point?

Edited by M Joel W