Sony TV's new "cognitive intelligence" that "understands the way our eyes see..."

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

So I wonder how many of you watched (what I think is the equivalent of Tommy Wiseau's 'The Room' of online presentations) Sony's new Bravia XR televisions with all new "cognitive intelligence"...basically adjusting the focal points of their TV screens based on where our eyes are looking!!!!!! WTF...alarm bells for you guys producing films and TV shows??????

I quote

"If a TV were to understand how our focus works (human eye) it could show what our eyes want to see more vividly and crisply"

more quotes:
The way we perceive the world is based on information coming from our eyes and ears to our brain at the same time. Conventional AI can only detect and analyse elements like colour, contrast and detail individually. Cognitive Processor XR can cross-analyse every element at once, just as our brains do. To create this closer-to-reality feeling, Cognitive Processor XR divides the screen into hundreds of zones and recognises individual objects in these zones better than ever before. What's more, they can cross-analyse around a few hundred thousand different elements that make up a picture in a second, the same way that our brains work......
......When the different elements that make up a TV picture are looked at individually and all elements adjusted to the same level, the results can feel artificial and take the viewer out of the experience. With cross-analysation, each element is adjusted to its best final outcome, in conjunction with each other, so everything is in harmony and feels totally natural.
When we see something in real life, our eyes don’t focus on everything at once, but only on the object we want to see at the time. BRAVIA XR TVs work the same way, detecting the main focal point in the scene and by enhancing each detail in the object, ensuring that it stands out with a natural sense of depth, the same way as in the real world.

Watch the presentation here:

• Premium Member

......the example of the shot with the shallow depth of field and the engineer asking the presenter where the eyes go to just 'took the biscuit' as they say in the UK.....

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 10.55.19.png

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 10.55.30.png

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 10.55.44.png

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Bear in mind that compression algorithms have been trying to concentrate on the, er, "most important" parts of the image for some time. This isn't necessarily that new.

The thing is, they're usually trying to do that based on uncompressed data, then compress it appropriately. This is a chip that goes in TVs. So, it might be able to detect where people are likely to look, but what exactly is it then doing to the image in that area?

That woman's presentation is... memorable.

52 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

what do fellow Tokyoites, in the same groove as you, make of all this Robin?

well I think its as ever some sort of scam to sell TV,s .. better than 3D / 18k / 60p ..  but yeah.. the TV decides where to focus .. god save us all .. !.. but re my post .. how bad is the studio stuff shot .. to promote a TV..Jesus !.. the scary thing is some Japanese production company will have been paid a small fortune to make it ..  for me its good as its why I get employed by over seas productions coming into Japan..  the local competition ,in the corp / documentary  market is a very low bar ..

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

it's a shame people in here are not paying attention to this thread and more importantly to the intention of SONY with this new technology on TVs.....I'm astounded by what this cognitive intelligence thing could be doing.....and let's face it....its all going to home entertainment more than cinema's 

9 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

it's a shame people in here are not paying attention to this thread and more importantly to the intention of SONY with this new technology on TVs.....I'm astounded by what this cognitive intelligence thing could be doing.....and let's face it....its all going to home entertainment more than cinema's 

Seems a spin off of their AF in the fx9 /6 and A7s3..  or more likely the other way round .. I have it on the fx9 and have to say its pretty incredible , the face/ eye thing ,set to face only I now use on every interview, with Sony f1.8 primes ..FF 85mm and 55mm .. the DoF is really shallow but it nails focus all day long .. I can see this being introduced into high end cameras ,for alot of shots its just going to save time .. I had a shot of two little kids running right to camera .. 135mm FF wide open .. couldn't have done it without AF.. of course still need a FP for big budget drama etc but for 80% of shots its just going to nail it and save time .. its been the biggest tech leap forward quietly in the background.. and its also a trickle down from the more sinister face recognition software .. I shot a corp for NEC about this about 2 years ago.. airport security systems ..once they have a face and name thats all they need ,get you in the crowd anytime .. but they had all sorts of stuff we couldn't film ,and rooms with big arse metal locked doors strictly out of bounds ..!!     military and government surveillance no doubt .. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Michael LaVoie said:

I wonder if this processor will make it's way into their line of SXRD projectors.  

I'm very much into the vibe of a proyector at home.......my cousin gave me his Sony proyector and screen and it takes me back to the 70s and beyond when the cinema was a visit every week without fail......so yes....interesting to see what they do.......regardless I dont think adjusting things depending on where we're looking is worrying to say the least for people the other side of the camera when producing content