Mrs. Maisel Questions on Lighting

• Premium Member

I intended to ask about these after watching Maisel S3 during the “great break” of last year. Hence the random timing. These shots were my favorite to dissect. Thanks in advance David.

The aircraft hangar in S3 E1. The stage exposure. Was that a 6x20 balloon light overhead? A tube perhaps at the edge of stage? Is it painted out in post? It seems to be well controlled off the rafters overhead.

S3_E1_1.jpg.85d012d9d06d20ad8dc9503bcdeadfea.jpg

For the umbrella scene S3 E6. The foreground is under what appears to be a 60’ overhead. How did you expose under the umbrellas so well? To add, two of the subjects are wearing hats! At least Midge’s face should be so shadowed by this point but they have a great exposure. I was so impressed upon seeing this. Was it simply an ultrabounce on both sides of camera?

S3_E6_2.thumb.JPG.545b8b94b7091294e194e3c6f2359a3a.JPGS3_E6_3.thumb.JPG.2328cd0f84f4b1d4f682508af779bde5.JPG

On the windy boat S3 E6, it appears like a somewhat overcast or wispy day. What was the plan if the sun had been out? Expose for the fill and let the sun burn on surfaces? Expose for the sun and let the faces fall dark? Being so windy and unlevel I can’t imagine a sound way to rig fill cards without problems. Or would contrast get lowered in post?

S3_E6_6.thumb.JPG.b9d142f954cf11fbc540b6b06d8e0ef3.JPG

• 4 weeks later...