Recommended Zoom Lens for Bolex Reflex?

Chris Peters

Angenieux and Som Berthiot both made a few zoom lenses with the specific formulation for the reflex cameras. Unfortunately, all of them are just as big as, or bigger than the Vario Switars.

Phil Forrest

Edited by Philip Forrest

Hi , I have exactly that lens on my camera which I got only a few weeks ago . While there is nothing particularly wrong with it , I have been shooting video for decades and used to ENG lenses with a proportional controlled motorised zoom , and found out that others here have used adaptors to mount B4 bayonet lenses ( designed for 2/3" video sensors) onto a Bolex ; relevant to my since I have just such a lens upstairs . Of course , if anything , my Canon B4 lens is bigger and heavier than the cine zoom lens I have , but my aim was to be able to use the power zoom with a suitable battery pack .

I have also just ordered a C mount to PK mount adaptor so that I can use my Pentax SLR lenses on the Bolex - in particular my SMC-M series primes , of which I have a good selection .

There are plenty of C mount adaptors to the popular 35mm SLR mounts available , and a 35mm SLR zoom lens of similar range may be lighter and more compact than the cine lens you currently have ; especially lenses designed for APSC size sensor DSLRs - just make sure you get one with manual aperture ring .

Thanks Philip , is this likely to be an issue with my Pentax prime lenses as well ?

I just ordered the adaptor , which was inexpensive , last week and haven't received it yet . Since I'll primarily be shooting outdoors , I expect I'll be stopped down most of the time anyway .