Redlake Locam II 2-500fps

Janis Lionel Huber

Hello 

I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading threads for years ? 

Anyhow: I just got a Redlake Locam II on ebay. I'm not sure wether it works. There are some threads on this forum but not many about this cam. I have the manual. What I couldn't find out: 

1) To test wether the camera works at all, can I test run it without any film inside or will this potentially damage the camera? I got the 115V version and will try to run it with a converter (since I am in europe). 

2) I saw that some Redlakes have an 'on / off' switch. Mine doesn't - instead it has a metal plate over this part. What does this mean? That when I plug in the camera it will rund immediately? Or that I first will have to build some sort of power switch?

I hope there's anyone with a working model

Thanks and best

• Premium Member

Just going by the other HS cameras I've used (I know nothing at all about the Redlakes) they often have other connectors for remote on/off, timing lights, etc. to help with the insane logistics involved in capturing a brief moment in time without a lot of wasted film.  So it's possible you could rig up a remote on/off switch through a connector, to take the place of the one missing in the camera body.

All the ones I have make rampant use of "military-style" multi pin twist-lock connectors.  I have a giant box full of ones I gathered along with the ones I needed, back when I was getting my cameras going.  If you figure out what connectors you need (pictures help, but often pin count is enough) I can look through my stash and see if I have what you need.

Duncan

• 1 year later...

I love the Redlake and have used it successfully numerous of times over the years. 

1) The camera will not work without film. It needs to be loaded. You can test at a very low frame rate and it shouldn't damage anything if you're concerned. Also, it has to be 2-perf film. 

2) My power switch is a big switch on the power cable. 

I have a manual somewhere if you need it. 

Also I had to build my own battery pack and I can get you details if you wish. I haven't actually used it in a couple years so I'ld beed to dig it out. 

Let me know if you need any help.

There is a cut-off switch below the lower sprocket- it's held shut by the edge of the film when loaded.

Assuming you can power up the camera you should be able to check it's running without film by holding down the switch briefly with the speed set to minimum.

Edited by Mark Dunn