Cinematographer? Fake it till you make it.

Stephen Sanchez

• Premium Member

A local! I've not heard of you yet.

Yes, infomercials are driven by direct-to-consumer product companies, and it turns out you can make the shows with few talent and crew. So they had a quicker recovery time. I'm very lucky and grateful.

I'd love to connect at some point.

18 hours ago, Neal Norton said:

In my humble opinion the unrelenting sameness of video production has created a very high quality mediocrity that renders even the most skilled DP a technician.  Maybe some of the "fakers" are making happy accidents that a highly trained DP would never make in 100 years and if we keep our egos in check we could learn a thing or two. 

I'm not sure I understand correctly. Forgive my answer if it's off your point, Neal.

I don't think the abundant video workflow and technical skills acquired by the shooter to be a negative thing. In-fact I see it as a fast avenue for growth. If you arent becoming more technically proficient after every setup in every job, then what are you doing? Some shooters arent learning anything new, and move to the next job.

Yes, humility is important. And judgement should be contained. I wish to help many shooters correct some misconceptions they're working under, or suggest approaches, but from their point-of-view it would be rude or offensive to suggest they are incapable. Then, it's not my ego at all I'm competing against. And that's an unfortunate situation. We can all learn from each other. As much as I've studied lighting, I still get blown away by damned neat solutions some of my fellow DPs come up with.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Neal Norton said:

Hi Stephen:

I also live here in Tampa.  It is nice that you are out there making a living in a tough environment.

To be a DP you need one crucial thing: The trust of your director.  Everything else is negotiable and changes job to job.  If you are being paid to light & help compose then congratulations you are a professional cameraman! 

In my humble opinion the unrelenting sameness of video production has created a very high quality mediocrity that renders even the most skilled DP a technician.  Maybe some of the "fakers" are making happy accidents that a highly trained DP would never make in 100 years and if we keep our egos in check we could learn a thing or two. 

Neal Norton
Tampa, Florida

Well said, Neal. You summed it up much better than I could, in far fewer words!

I feel that one of the things that differentiate between the director and the DP is that the director judges by the eyes, but the DP judges by numbers. 

having great technical knowledge about lighting and photography doesn't always guarantee you that you gonna have breathtaking visuals. but it helps you to save time. It helps you to be precise, calm and confident. and most importantly knowing the technical aspects of photography would prevent you from looking stupid. 

I feel that doing a lot of research is also a sign of commitment. and this sign of commitment would encourage other production houses to employ you.

At the end of the day. if someone wants to hire you that person would hire you, but if he/she doesn't want to hire you he/she wouldn't hire you. it's your job to keep improving yourself.