Sony F5 used vs. Sony FS7 II

Philipp Kunzli

Hey Everybody

I'm looking for some thoughts or advice considering purchasing a Camera for an upcoming documentary.

For this film (around shooting 50 days)  I'm planing to pay one of the following two cameras.

A used Sony F5 or a new Sony FS7 II.

Facts are: that I shoot already a documentary on the F5 and I really liked the compact size, which includes everything also a TC Lock. Additionally I really like the Color management Handling. This is just more "hands on as the on from the FS7.

The same Time is the F5 already almost 10 years old. But, as far as I know it has still the same sensor as the FS7. What I don't like on the FS7 is, that with its V-Mount adapter it's massive and you need that one for the TC -Look... 

Maybe one of you has some more insight and shares his thoughts.... 

And to make the whole thing even more complicated... What if we would bring an used F55 on the table... 

Thanks a lot. Philipp

• Premium Member

fs7 has different signal processing and generally lower quality sensors even if the sensor is "the same" than on the F5. This can be seen as a slight difference in colour reproduction and pretty obvious difference in noise levels.

have you considered the FX9 ? it has way better sensor than the fs7 models. though if the fs7 is used and cheap then it may make sense

• Premium Member

the F55 has way nicer look than the F5 and is still very competitive camera for high end documentary production, especially if combined with the newer raw recorder which allows x-ocn recording. I know one of those recorders on sale at the moment here if you need one