Is it worth buying a used Sony F55

Philipp Kunzli

Hey everybody

I'd love to hear your thoughts on buying a used Sony F55 (incl. RAW-Recorder) for around 8000.-€ 

First of all, the data Handling of the AXS 4K RAW files. a few years ago I shoot a short with this system and as I remember it was quite a "handful" working and handling this huge files.

What do you guys think compared to a FS7?

Does anyone has experience about the its image quality compared to the Sony Venice? (of corse beside the full frame sensor!)

Venice: XAVC 4KClass 480     compared to   F55 XAVC (AVC/H.264 High 4:2:2 Intra Profile) 4K: VBR, 600

16 minutes ago, Philipp Kunzli said:

Hey everybody

I'd love to hear your thoughts on buying a used Sony F55 (incl. RAW-Recorder) for around 8000.-€ 

First of all, the data Handling of the AXS 4K RAW files. a few years ago I shoot a short with this system and as I remember it was quite a "handful" working and handling this huge files.

What do you guys think compared to a FS7?

Does anyone has experience about the its image quality compared to the Sony Venice? (of corse beside the full frame sensor!)

Venice: XAVC 4KClass 480     compared to   F55 XAVC (AVC/H.264 High 4:2:2 Intra Profile) 4K: VBR, 600

Still a good camera , but pretty old now , AXS / SxS media is expensive .. but its in a different league to an fs7..  very different markets .. f5/55 both have XAVC I 480 too..  I think it depends if you really need raw or not , and what camera suits your work..  basically the closest thing to a Venice image wise, is now the fx9.. not the same sensor but FF and " Venice color space ".. the Venice s709 LUT for Slog3 is also what Sony recommend for the fx9  ( but its a bit green )..  but the fx9 is not good for raw , have to go to a 3rd party external recorder and its 12 bit recording , although  the cameras out putting 16 bit ....  if your choice is between an fs7 and a fx9 ..I would take the fx9 for sure ..  Pros and Cons .. personally I think its always better to go for the latest sensor technology, its moved on so far from the f55 sensor .. and the prices have dropped massively too !

• Premium Member

the F55 is still a good camera especially for documentaries and if paired with the newer AXS-R7 recorder which can record compressed raw to save storage space. There is no visual difference between the old raw version and X-OCN as far as I have seen (most of the material I am handling is shot with that exact combo... the F55 and AXS-R7 )

If you need the newer AXS-R7 recorder, let me know by PM.  there is a used one here for sale for about half the price of the new R7

To be honest, the Venice will blow the F55 out of the water in both operationally and image quality. It's just a newer camera that has improved upon the issues in the F55. However, the F55 can still put out some beautiful images.

If you're looking to invest into a camera package to make money on it (or be hired because you have it), then go with the Venice. If you just want a good camera for personal projects, then the F55 will be great.

8 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

…  basically the closest thing to a Venice image wise, is now the fx9.. not the same sensor but FF and " Venice color space ".. the Venice s709 LUT for Slog3 is also what Sony recommend for the fx9  ( but its a bit green )..  

I just have heard from different sides that the fx9 still "walks in its children shoes".. that were are still quite some issues considering its reliability  and the the "greenish" tone as you mention... 

So for me, going in to a 40 shootingday documentary, I feel like I rather go with the proofed and reliable "old" camera instead of going for the "funky" new one... But maybe I'm just to old fashion... ;-)

3 hours ago, AJ Young said:

To be honest, the Venice will blow the F55 out of the water in both operationally and image quality....

If you're looking to invest into a camera package to make money on it (or be hired because you have it), then go with the Venice. 

About the "water blow out" – There is no doubt about that! 

But economically it's just also a different league. 35000.–€ to 8000.- including the RAW Recorder... 

And in addition It may sound old fashion, but I rather invest in good glas. I do believe that on this level it will make the bigger difference. 
Meaning spending 35'000 on a amazing camera but mounting some "Stilllens"  on it or having a good camera with a 20'000.-€ lens... 

Or what are your thoughts?

I think the only reason to get an F55 these days is if you need a global shutter camera that happens to be geared a bit more toward run and gun use than an F65 or something. It also definitely has the "sony look" of old, more so than either the F35 or F65 had. Personally I think you'll get better skintones out of the FS7. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philipp Kunzli said:

I just have heard from different sides that the fx9 still "walks in its children shoes".. that were are still quite some issues considering its reliability  and the the "greenish" tone as you mention... 

So for me, going in to a 40 shootingday documentary, I feel like I rather go with the proofed and reliable "old" camera instead of going for the "funky" new one... But maybe I'm just to old fashion... ?

Yes the v1 had some issues ..most you read online were user error , have been a couple of updates since then .. the green tone is only when applying the s709 LUT without any grading,  not in the camera , I guess thats a toss up on whats more reliable .. new or old .. one thing I would recommend , ask the seller to replace the internal battery .. you can do it yourself but scary the first time and its bad on action .. I had this happen to me on location and had to do it in my hotel room under pressure ..  a night I wont forget soon !

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Philipp Kunzli said:

Not worth it at that price, IMHO. Either pony up and get a Venice, or go for an FX6/FX9 with Sony G Master lenses for the autofocus. You can still shoot XAVC 480 with the Venice, you don’t have to use the raw recorder. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Philipp Kunzli said:

But economically it's just also a different league. 35000.–€ to 8000.- including the RAW Recorder... 

Of course it's more expensive, the Venice is newer. ?

The struggle with owning a camera is that you're entering the rental game whether you like it or not. Productions and DP's are always going to ask for the latest and greatest; you might miss out on jobs simply because the F55 is too old for productions. (Not that you can't make great images with it, but they would rather rent newer equipment)

BUT, if you're getting the camera for personal projects, then it'll be just fine. ?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Still plenty of jobs down here in Oz asking for F55s. They're workhorse cameras - and the new S709 colour science from the Venice has given the images from the older camera new life. I would take one any and every day over the FS7 (which I've always found the image from noticeably "thin" to work with in post).

If you want raw recording, want to shoot Sony, and can't afford a Venice, then the F55 is definitely the option to go for - the raw workflow on the FX6/FX9 is pretty janky still.

The Venice and F55 share the same Colour Filter Array - so you're getting the same high-quality dyes in both, and excellent colour.

Honestly, I don't think image quality should really play that much a factor in the decision - Venice and the F55 both make superb images, so it's really the operational factors that make the big differences, and on that front, the newer cameras (Venice, FX9 and FX6) really shine. Vastly superior ND systems, super-fast boot times, and much more responsive menus.

For 8000€ though, a complete F55 package is a HELL of a lot of camera.