A Moral Conundrum

Brian Rose

All,

I just received a new order of 16mm film, and I now have an honesty question. I had ordered 4 rolls of bw, and 2 rolls color neg for a projec, and then 5 super 8 trix just for fun/practice. Instead, they send me five rolls of 16mm tri x. I paid for super 8 prices, and the invoice says super 8, but the film they gave is 16. Now, I'm pleased as punch by this, but do you think I have an obligation to point out the error, and return it, or should I consider a gift from the cinematic gods?

Best,

BR

Guest jeremy edge
All,

I just received a new order of 16mm film, and I now have an honesty question.  I had ordered 4 rolls of bw, and 2 rolls color neg for a projec, and then 5 super 8 trix just for fun/practice.  Instead, they send me five rolls of 16mm tri x.  I paid for super 8 prices, and the invoice says super 8, but the film they gave is 16.  Now, I'm pleased as punch by this, but do you think I have an obligation to point out the error, and return it, or should I consider a gift from the cinematic gods?

Best,

BR

Its not THAT much money.Considering it was their mistake I wouldnt worry about it.

Think if your project required super 8 and you were shooting right away? You would be in a pickle then right? I wouldnt feel too bad about keepning it.

• Premium Member
All,

I just received a new order of 16mm film, and I now have an honesty question.  I had ordered 4 rolls of bw, and 2 rolls color neg for a projec, and then 5 super 8 trix just for fun/practice.  Instead, they send me five rolls of 16mm tri x.  I paid for super 8 prices, and the invoice says super 8, but the film they gave is 16.  Now, I'm pleased as punch by this, but do you think I have an obligation to point out the error, and return it, or should I consider a gift from the cinematic gods?

Best,

BR

The fact that you've asked proves to me that you should atleast make a call and speak to the manager, not the fuzzy-chinned, slack-jawed order taker (no offense to retail film order takers!). Considering what it would cost them to send you a new mailer and the cost of two-way shipping (on their dime), they certainly wouldn't ask you to return it. It's been my experience that honesty pays dividends so make the call. Your conscience is clear and you never know....

Guest Joseph Gioielli

I'd keep the film. Just give them your business and encourage your friends to shop there.

Your word of mouth advertising will be far more valuable to the company than a bit of film.

If you were standing in line behind someone at a store, and a $20 bill dropped out of their pocket and they didn't know it, would you think it was OK to pick it up & keep it, just because they didn't know they dropped it?

This is the same thing.

Call them.

It's not a "gift" from anyone, it was a mistake, you know it's a mistake, you got something you didn't pay for, so it's stealing to just keep it.

Sorry, I get irritated when people use excuses to justify things.

Chances are, they're not going to ask you to return the stuff anyway.

MP

While we are on the subject of stealing and media. If one copies a DVD, music track from someone elses personal collection or a computer program without paying for it then that is stealing as much as a goon ripping my mom's purse from here frail fingers.

• Premium Member

There's an old saying "Honesty is the best policy". :)

If you received less than you paid for by mistake, you'd let them know. Why would you do anything different because you received more by mistake? As noted, they may just ask if you want to keep the order as is, rather than paying to ship film back and forth.

Some of the best professional as well as personal relationships I have, have come about because they have seen how I react in situations like these.

Doing business with someone who knows they can trust you in situations like these, is far better than the above mentioned "recommend them to a few of your friends" route.

It's the old "treat others as you would have them treat you" concept, like John just said.

MP

I'd definitly give them a call and ask to see what they want to do...

It also seems obvious you are going to do the same, for you wouldnt have posted this question if you weren't thinking about it. On the other hand, if you were keeping it, i reckon you would have done so without thinking twice about it, but you did...

anyways, when you do call, perhaps you can mention that you are happy to keep it should they be okay with that too... rather then wait for them to suggest it. This is not cheating, stealing or manipulating but rather just straight forward. They may not suggest hangging onto it as they may not realise you have the use for it.... right?

Karma is out there, you dont want to get it pissed off before you shoot anything ;)

• Premium Member

Instead, they send me five rolls of 16mm tri x. I paid for super 8 prices, and the invoice says super 8, but the film they gave is 16.

There were some simple 8 cameras that they used double sided perforation on 16mm that u shoot twice, one forward to tail and then u swap the reel to tail out to head.

Maybe they gave you double side perforated 16mm?

Or maybe I am too old and this film doesn't exist anymore?

Just call them and explain, they will appreciate it.

Dimitrios

Guest Joseph Gioielli

Dimitrios, yes, they still make that film. Now they call it regular 8 to keep it from getting confused with Super 8.

OK Brian, I think we all want to know. You've had enough time. What did you do? Did you send it back or did you just keep it?

And don't be afraid to say it if you kept it. Yes, most people here are pushing toward the "call them" concept, but I don't think anyone would think you some kind of monster if you just kept it. I'd just like to know.

Joe

Maybe they gave you double side perforated 16mm?

Or maybe I am too old and this film doesn't exist anymore?

Dimitrios

Dimitrios,

The 8mm film you're talking about has twice as many perfs as 16mm film to accomodate the 8mm camera sprockets. You can run 8mm film through a 16mm camera, but you cannot run 16mm through an 8mm camera. It's always marked as Regular 8 or Double 8 film, and only available from a few dealers (in the US, at least). I have a couple rolls that I use for scratch tests in 16mm cameras - they're real handy because you can run it through from either end of the roll (no rewinding required).