Arriflex 16S motor internals

Duncan Brown

• Premium Member

In another thread I've been investigating the standard motors for the 16S (the stock variable speed motor, and the constant-speed motor with the external transistor).  For the sake of future searches I thought I'd gather that all together in a new topic, where we can just discuss the guts of the motors, and taking them apart and fixing them.  I've made a web page for each motor, and am updating them as I learn more.  But there's an initial teardown and rebuild of each so far.

Constant speed motor (the one with the transistor):

http://backglass.org/duncan/arri/constant_speed_motor_24fps_teardown/

Variable speed motor:

http://backglass.org/duncan/arri//variable_speed_motor_teardown/

For those just looking for the bearing specs, they are the same for both motors: "Type 625" permanently lubricated with dust shields on both sides.  They are not stainless steel.  Specs are 16mm outer diameter, 5mm shaft diameter, and 5mm race depth.  They are available at some expense from normal bearing suppliers, but they must also be used in RC cars or something, because they're all over eBay for under a buck each in any sort of quantity.  Replacing the bearings is not for the faint of heart, however; you might want to consult those web pages.

Duncan

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Just thought I'd post an update.  Those backordered pins didn't come in May like they were supposed to, except for the 2mm (oversized) ones... and I can now see the drawing of them was incorrect.  The grooving is in the middle, not at one end as pictured and as I thought matched the originals. SO that means the originals MUST be tapered, as those are the only ones that definitely have the grooves at just one end (about 1/3 the length.)  I ordered some of those in April and they are also backordered, with an expected ship date in July, that I fully expect to also slip.  Stupid global supply chain disasters due to COVID...  Anyway, whenever they eventually get in, I will get back to this project.

Duncan