Film spool unwound when unloading 16mm magazine

Will Jacobs

I was attempting to remove the core adapter for my magazine out of the exposed spool of film and ended up pushing out the spool core. The inside film unraveled and I managed to wind some of it back onto the original spool. What am I to do in this circumstance— wind the rest of the exposed footage back onto the spool? I did touch some of the emulsion and tried to only handle the plastic side. My fingers were clean. Am I okay to use nitrate gloves to finish rewinding or could I even send it to the lab in its current condition. Any advice is dearly appreciated. I am quite worried if my footage is okay.

• 2 years later...
  • Site Sponsor

We have received all manor of unraveled film in many forms of container for processing.

If you do not feel confident in re-spooling the film you can leave it in a "ball" in the bag and put it in a box and send it to your lab and the lab techs will take care of it, we have allot more experience handling film in the dark than you do ?

Also it can be removed from the container in the dark room to be spooled back on to a core, expect some delay for this order.

18 hours ago, Marcell Lobenwein said:

Hey Will! 

The same thing just happened to me. How did it end up for you?

Thanks!

Marcell, please refer to Robert's response. This event occurred two years ago and I foolishly attempted to wind the 100' of unraveled 400' spool back onto the core, grazing it with my fingers and leaving scratches and static marks on the emulsion. I sent the slightly unraveled film to CineLab (Robert's lab) in a larger film canister than the raw stock can and, aside from the aforementioned 100', everything turned out fine. I had to digitally remove each mark of the first 100' in post-production.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I remember once I had 16mm film go off the spool inside the magazine loading side and rattle around about before I stopped the camera.....I placed the magazine inside a loading tent and first of all 'cut' the film that was loose with my fingers......I rolled all this loose film back up onto the spool and inside a light proof box.....then I loaded the rest of the film back on another spool and loaded it again...in the end I sent the lab the 400ft roll in two parts telling them what had happened.....all turned out fine.....footage was fine.....

I can relate to this more with loading photographic 6 x 6 film onto Paterson spools that somehow, even after doing it 4 million times you somehow daydream and it doesn't want to load and the temp inside starts getting noticeably warmer and mure humid haha......this happens more with expired film that's been wound up tight for a long time.....

I have found film to be tough and not that easy to scratch or mess up with dry fingers and normal fingernails haha I would imagine film with remote to be even tougher than photographic film that does not have any......at the end of the day I have a lot of experience handling photographic film in the dark so that helps when handling motion picture film I guess

Edited by Stephen Perera