Arriflex 16S rubber coupling replacement simplified hack

Duncan Brown

• Premium Member

If your 16S rubber coupler is worn out and you want to replace it yourself, you first need to source a new one.  I got mine from Sean Charlesworth, who has a web page on the subject here:

https://opus5.complex88.com/2013/03/camera-repair-arri-s.html

It's not cheap, but it's a perfect fit and comes with detailed instructions on the right way to put it in.

My camera, however, is the newer style for which his instructions don't work.  Instead of being bolted to the fairly easy to remove plate, the transmission with the coupling is part of the whole deeper gear train, which requires massive disassembly of everything, with shims that have to be kept track of, etc.  No way I was taking my camera that far apart.  What I should have done is sent it to an expert to get the coupling installed, get it tuned up, etc.  That is what you should do, too.

However, I got a screaming deal on the camera and there was no way I was going to pay more to get a rubber tube installed than I paid for the camera, so I set about figuring out how to work smarter.  I discovered that long (11") needle-nose pliers with a slight bent tip would allow me to work down through the motor opening, grab on to the shaft of the transmission just below the coupling, and hold it firmly while I also fed the two-pin driver down into the coupling and removed the screw holding it to the transmission.  Then, just like in the instructions, I wiggled the old coupling off.  Then, using smaller skinnier needle nosed pliers I fed the coupling and then the half-moon wires, and then the screw down in there and got it all in place... and then using the long pliers again, held the shaft while tightening the screw.  Voila - took about 5 minutes to change the coupling, and no camera disassembly.

DO NOT TRY THIS if you don't normally take stuff apart and fix it without instructions.  Things can go horribly wrong.  You can drop parts irretrievably into the camera.  You can gouge the transmission shaft.  You can bump into other things with the big pliers and wreck stuff.  This isn't a magic fix for just anyone to replace their coupling.  It's just a way, especially if you have one of the later cameras, for a skilled technical type to replace the coupling without nearly as much work.

I hope these pictures give you the idea of what I'm talking about:

Duncan

arri_16s_coupler_removal_02_edit.thumb.jpg.e3e81fb571b317c3c96c9490ed978aa0.jpg

Edited by Duncan Brown
  • Like 1