SONY FS5 1920X1080 50p - What's wrong???

Hello!

I'm shooting a fashion film with an FS5 and I'm trying to shoot in 50fps so I can slow it down later in post. 

My settings are at 1920X1080 50fps but the playback in a 25fps sequence in Premiere (and changing the speed of the clip) is juddering. 

I'm not sure why. I got my shutter speed at 100 - What am i doing wrong|?

File Format: XAVC HD
REC FORMAT: 1080/50p 50Mbps

Short example below

What am i doing wrong? 

It's far more noticable when moving more 

Edited by Alexandros Pissourios

• Premium Member

I'm sorry mate, I don't see anything wrong with the images. Are you referring to the high shutter speed look? The "crispness" of the camera move? They playback smooth a silk on my system. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

is it the high shutter speed causing this crispness

i was on 1/100th with 50fps.... I think the project rate is 50fps for FS5 and that makes it look like this....

I'm used to the Amira where i can set my project rate to 25fps and get the smooth playback.

I'll have to be reaaaallly careful with editing 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

no i'm talking about the judder...

oh i think i've just made a huge mistake.... not sure why this is though....

FS5 is not my preferable camera. 

helppppppp

No judder whatsoever on my monitor either.

The first clip you embedded looks alright, just what 50fps slowed down to 25 should look like when shot at 1/100 (so you're left with a 180° shutter angle).

With the two shorter clips, it looks like you forgot to slow them down, so at 25fps you're only watching every other frame of your 50fps recording (skipping the rest), and that results in the "juddery" 90° shutter angle look.

the shoe clip begins with normal speed and then when the frame goes smaller it’s the 50% slower and then back to normal 

I’ve included the clips in normal speed to see the difference

I don’t understand the settings I need to have to get a nice 50fps to 25fps playback (shutter speed-wise)

...it looks shit to me...

is there a way to fix this in post?

13 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

the shoe clip begins with normal speed and then when the frame goes smaller it’s the 50% slower and then back to normal 

I’ve included the clips in normal speed to see the difference

I don't see the issue with the slowed down version, can you describe what exactly "looks shit" to you in this clip?

18 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

I don’t understand the settings I need to have to get a nice 50fps to 25fps playback (shutter speed-wise)

Shutter angle math remains the same between 1:1 (real time) recording:playback and slow-motion, as long as you remember to match your footage to the playback frame rate (so that every frame is played and none is skipped)

8 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

So I need to match the shutter speed to the playback speed 1:1 (ie shooting 50fps to playback at 25fps means 1/50th shutter speed?)

No, to the recording speed — e.g. shooting 1/200th at 100fps or 1/100th at 50fps and slowing it down (so that no frame is skipped) results in the same motion ratio as shooting 1/50th for 25fps.
And it looks like that's exactly what you achieved with the slowed down versions of your videos. I still fail to see the problem.

The footage is definitely shaky, as in, unstabilized, but the shutter angle aspect looks alright to me (once slowed down and not frame-skipping).

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

is it the high shutter speed causing this crispness

I believe that's what your seeing. I personally don't see any issues at all. 

i was on 1/100th with 50fps.... I think the project rate is 50fps for FS5 and that makes it look like this....

That's a pretty high shutter speed. I use 90 degrees all the time on my digital cameras, because I like that crisp look. 

I'm used to the Amira where i can set my project rate to 25fps and get the smooth playback.

Probably because you were shooting at 180 degree shutter angle. 

4 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

Everything online says to double the shutter speed to the frame rate......

is that not the case then?

That's exactly the case if you're going for an effective 180° shutter angle, as I've said above

6 hours ago, Tomasz Brodecki said:

just what 50fps slowed down to 25 should look like when shot at 1/100 (so you're left with a 180° shutter angle).

2 hours ago, Tomasz Brodecki said:

to the recording speed — e.g. shooting 1/200th at 100fps or 1/100th at 50fps and slowing it down (so that no frame is skipped) results in the same motion ratio as shooting 1/50th for 25fps.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

Everything online says to double the shutter speed to the frame rate......

is that not the case then?

No you're right, if you raise the speed of the camera (greater FPS) the shutter speed changes as well. 

But my thought is that perhaps you set it at 180 and left it alone on the Arri.