Film-testing my Arri 16S and some film and some lenses

Duncan Brown

• Premium Member

First couple of rolls through my 16S, trying out some Tri-X (developed as a negative) and Double-X.  I hate just shooting nothing, even though it's just a test, so I decided to do a little Down By Law opening scene type stuff since I was going to be on the South Side.

Learned a lot from this.  Like, you really need to clean the gate from the lens side too, ugh.  And my camera stabilization idea didn't work with the car moving, so that would need to be improved (this was all handheld).  And the 12mm end of a 12-120 wasn't really wide enough.  And I probably should overcrank it a bit, since driving slower won't work with traffic behind us.  And snowy days make for a boring sky and too little contrast (but I had to take the weather I was dealt.)

With a slightly cleaner gate (but still not clean enough!) my next test was on color negative film, trying out some other lenses too.  I didn't mark the scenes, but you should pretty clearly be able to tell which ones are the 5.9mm, the 12-120 and the Kilfitt 90 macro.  I was especially interested in the distortion level of the 5.9.  Remarkably little!  I'm a wide angle freak, so I was quite happy with those results.  The Kilfitt is incredibly low contrast.  Looks soft, even though focus-wise it's quite sharp.  Interesting lens.

Duncan

• Like 1