Rigging to a Paddle Boat

Nelson JJ Flores

• Premium Member

Maybe plywood outriggers on all four sides with speedrail mounts drilled in? Then you can build your own crossbars wherever you need them and the outriggers shouldn’t be visible unless you’re shooting high angles. You might need to add something underneath to help them float.

• Like 1

Hi Nelson.  Or Maybe try shooting from another boat?  You could set yourself up on a Kayak with a high hat, then shoot boat to boat.  If it needs a rigged feel I'm sure you could rig the two boats together with speedrail and let the peddle boat pull the operator in the Kayak.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, jason joseffer said:

Hi Nelson.  Or Maybe try shooting from another boat?  You could set yourself up on a Kayak with a high hat, then shoot boat to boat.  If it needs a rigged feel I'm sure you could rig the two boats together with speedrail and let the peddle boat pull the operator in the Kayak.

Off topic, but... Jason! Nice to see you around these parts. ?

Thanks guys! There has been talk about attaching another boat to the picture boat with speed rail. I think I can get away with rope too, but definitely a solution that they're willing to consider.

I'm also taking into consideration if the director really wants to be behind the actor on the same boat, for story purposes. I've suggested a smaller camera like a Sony A1 or A7SIII, w/ the same lenses so maybe they may contemplate that idea and I could maybe get away with suction cups and a small camera ball mount, with extra security of course.

Do you think suctions cups could attach onto the material that the paddle boat is made out of?

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Nelson JJ Flores said:

Do you think suctions cups could attach onto the material that the paddle boat is made out of?

Aren’t suction cup mount contact surfaces supposed to be clean and dry to work properly though? 

Anyway, what does your key grip have to say about it?

I'm the Key Grip ? haha.

Suction cup mounts do need those requirements in order to work. I'm just unsure if the suction would be strong enough to hold.  I don't suspect the boat getting that wet since the actor is just strolling along but I should take that into consideration in case water splashes.

High hat w/ some ratchet straps would be my other option.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Nelson JJ Flores said:

I'm the Key Grip ? haha.

Suction cup mounts do need those requirements in order to work. I'm just unsure if the suction would be strong enough to hold.  I don't suspect the boat getting that wet since the actor is just strolling along but I should take that into consideration in case water splashes.

High hat w/ some ratchet straps would be my other option.

Oh, lol ok. Well that makes more sense then. ?

I guess it kinda depends on the camera positions the DP wants. The hi hat method is a bit limiting unless you add some extra platforms on the boat to mount to. I would see if you can get a Cardellini Tri-hat at least, much more flexible than a standard hi-hat mounted to a board.