FX9 – S35mm Crop

Philipp Kunzli

HEy Everybody

Has anyone any experience with the 4K S-35mm Crop on the Sony FX9?

I'm planing to buy a FX9 but the first project im going to shoot is a 40 Day Documentary. Since it's a small production/team (director, sound, camera) and it involves some "run and gun", I'd rather not shoot FullFrame. Also I'd love to use my Fujinon MK18-55 T2.9 with "only covers S-35mm. 

Can anyone say something about this Crop? Is this 4K quality as good as the FS7 4K footage? 

I'm really looking forward to your answers... 

THX a lot in advance and take care. 

Philipp

Hi Philipp,

I have prepped a show a few times now where they shot with the Sony FX9. The DP and their post team seemed pleased with the Cropped 4K sensor mode. They were using Canon Cine Servo 17-120mm with the Wooden Camera E to PL adapter. That particular lens was able to cover 5K Crop mode on the FX9. From speaking with the DP, they came from shooting their show with Sony F55s and the same lens arrangement. The show was shooting in remote wilderness in the US. 

If you're planning to shoot with the Fujinon MK that might pair well with the native E mount of the FX9. I see this as an improvement across the board compared to the FS7.

3 hours ago, Matthew Figueroa said:

Hi Philipp,

I have prepped a show a few times now where they shot with the Sony FX9. The DP and their post team seemed pleased with the Cropped 4K sensor mode. They were using Canon Cine Servo 17-120mm with the Wooden Camera E to PL adapter. That particular lens was able to cover 5K Crop mode on the FX9. From speaking with the DP, they came from shooting their show with Sony F55s and the same lens arrangement. The show was shooting in remote wilderness in the US. 

If you're planning to shoot with the Fujinon MK that might pair well with the native E mount of the FX9. I see this as an improvement across the board compared to the FS7.

Just that I understand it right... they used the 5K Crop Area and recorded 4K? 

FX9 Crop.jpg

CVP has an excellent web app to check illumination circles for various combinations of cameras and lenses:  https://cvp.com/tools/cameralens

The Fujinon MK lenses aren't listed in the tool, but from what I recall they only cover the 4k S35 crop mode on the FX9, and vignette on 5k.

As for FS7 vs FX9 4k - it's 2012 vs 2020 sensor technology.  Even without oversampling I'd expect the FX9 to have better overall performance.