Arriflex IIC

Karl Erik Brøndbo

Look what I just got!

I bought this today (without seeing it first), and it doesn't look like a IIC when I google that. The bottom part, is that a motor? How is it powered? And this strange round thing on the right side, what's that?

Is it expensive to get a video assist on this on (and is it worth it)?

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

• Premium Member

Oh the original motor! Cool! 

Those two big pins are the power. You can buy a cable on eBay no big deal. 

Video assist requires a door replacement, kind of expensive but cool because the aftermarket door does have an orientable viewfinder, which is nice. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

That’s a flat base - it puts the 2C in a more stable configuration, originally so it could fit in a sound-proof blimp.

You can return it to the original configuration if there is a small gear stored somewhere in the base. On some flat bases there was a little storage cylinder. See:

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com/2014/04/arriflex-35-iic.html

The round thing next to the camera is the motor, in this case a variable speed one. 
I don’t know how easy it will be to find a power cable, there was nothing on eBay when I just looked.

The camera has had a Nikon hard front fitted to replace the normal turret. 

The standard video assist used to be a Jurgens door, but these days a few different companies are making them, google will find them. They’re not cheap, and not essential.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Oh the original motor! Cool! 

It's not the "original motor", whatever that means. Flat bases were introduced many years after the first Arriflex 35 was introduced, usually made by third party manufacturers like Cine 60. They are essentially gearboxes that allow the motor to be mounted next to the camera rather than underneath.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

It's not the "original motor", whatever that means. Flat bases were introduced many years after the first Arriflex 35 was introduced, usually made by third party manufacturers like Cine 60. They are essentially gearboxes that allow the motor to be mounted next to the camera rather than underneath.

The original motor is included in this picture above. I could care less about the flat base. Most people who have these cameras, use modern motors. It's cool when you find one with an original motor. That's all I'm saying. Stop being a jerk. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The original motor is included in this picture above. I could care less about the flat base. Most people who have these cameras, use modern motors. It's cool when you find one with an original motor. That's all I'm saying. Stop being a jerk. 

Karl was asking what this was, and why it doesn't look like a normal Arriflex 2C. The answer is, it's mounted on a flat base. Of course you could care less.  

And there are plenty of 2Cs with original Arri motors, it's far from unusual. 

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

And there are plenty of 2Cs with original Arri motors, it's far from unusual. 

Very rare state side. I have physically seen 2 in my entire life. I've repaired at least a dozen (2B/C) of them by now, I can't keep track. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Karl Erik Brøndbo said:

Thanks! 
Do you think it is worth it to change the motor into this: https://cinemaelec.com/products/2c_crystal_motor_base

Yes, the cinematography electronics base is the more common one used on the 2C. It's around the same thickness as that base you have now, but is self contained, without the original motor. It has 2 standard 3 pin XLR 12v power connectors, which is handy. It also allows for crystal sync operation and dialing in a frame rate. I really liked that base, used it many times on the 2C and a similar one that's just electronics on the Arri III. 

In terms of the Nikon mount, I've seen that as well. The rental houses I've dealt with who put Nikon mounts on their cameras, did so because they wanted a low-cost option for crash cam lenses. Obviously there are other reasons to put that mount on, but it was quite common in Hollywood to do so. The reflex Eyemo's I had, also used Nikon mount for similar reasons. I had a PL mount on my personal 2C with that same motor, great camera. Unfortunately, the barrel diameter of my lenses, prohibited them from fitting due to the mirror housing angle. So I sold the camera instead of buying new lenses. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell