Aaton XTR eyepiece extension problem - video attached

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Hi there...the extension eyepiece just flops down and its very annoying as I have to stick my eye on it to hold it in place as I want it.......in other words it rotates down without any friction and doesn't stay in place at any angle that gravity doesnt affect it......what screws does one tighten? I dont want to mess up internal optics....

Thanks for any help.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Looks like your missing the tightening assembly entirely. It's a little ring that sits BEFORE the locking ring. You can try loosening up the big ring and slowly turning it so the visible threads start disappearing (towards you in this case). That will get that assembly a bit less loose. But yes, it appears that hex hole is your "lock". You may want to talk to Girvan @ Abel cine about getting a different assembly that locks. Every Aaton I've seen has had it, except for this one. Very strange. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Looks like your missing the tightening assembly entirely. It's a little ring that sits BEFORE the locking ring. You can try loosening up the big ring and slowly turning it so the visible threads start disappearing (towards you in this case). That will get that assembly a bit less loose. But yes, it appears that hex hole is your "lock". You may want to talk to Girvan @ Abel cine about getting a different assembly that locks. Every Aaton I've seen has had it, except for this one. Very strange. 

Ive added the video to the original post could you have a look at it????

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Stephen Perera changed the title to Aaton XTR eyepiece extension problem - video attached
  • Premium Member

While other manuals show a ring that has a locking thumbscrew, this manual has instructions for adjusting the eyepiece/extension viewfinder friction on a viewfinder like yours:

http://www.visualproducts.com/pdf/AatonXTRManual.pdf

You loosen the grub screws, adjust the ring to change friction, then tighten the screws again. The manual specifically warns not to unscrew the big ring behind as Tyler suggests, as it is factory set to adjust the gear teeth spacing. Your eyepiece looks a bit loose and wobbly though, so maybe it needs a technician to look at it?

There is a device for extension viewfinders that you can fit to heads called an Eye Piece Leveller (EPL) that supports the eyepiece and keeps it level while allowing the camera to tilt, though I’m not sure how it works with Aatons. 

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

Ive added the video to the original post could you have a look at it????

Yep it's the set screws. So beware... be very careful. Inside that assembly is a planetary gear that spins a prism. The two pieces screw together; the piece with the planetary gear and the piece that has the eyepiece mount. What's happened is that your set screws have come loose and it's just spinning. I would take the viewfinder off, and slowly turn that assembly clockwise until it gets tighter and then lock it in place. That SHOULD solve the problem. But again, there is no friction lock on that camera, which is very strange. I recall my LTR having one because I used that extension viewfinder and I can't imagine it being able to hold itself up with out a lock of some kind. 

• Upvote 1