Looking for Video Tap Suggestions

Jon Salimes

I was hoping to get some suggestions on best brands and places to purchase. I don't really need anything super high quality - I'm actually pretty okay with using the viewfinder but when I'm working with a crew, it can be limiting being the only person seeing what we're shooting. Plus I think my focusing would be sharper with an external monitor.

Here's an image of the connectors I have on the camera (not really sure what these are, ha, if someone could illuminate me that would be great!):

videotap.jpg

• Premium Member

I can't quite tell what camera it is, can you tell us a bit more about it? 

Also, there really aren't a bunch of companies making taps. Even the modern HD taps, can't be used to insure proper focus. The viewfinder is really the only way to insure get focus on a film camera. 

They only make modern taps for more modern cameras too. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

Hard to recommend anything without knowing the camera, format etc.

Those connectors look like a Hirose 4 pin for power and a BNC output for video (probably SD). Reminds me of the old SD splits we had for SRs at a rental house I worked for years ago. So it looks like your camera already has a video assist?

As Tyler said, even HD film camera video splits are not really good enough for accurate focus pulling, just framing. Especially if you’re not after anything high quality.

Visual Products sell good video split options for various cameras.

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I can't quite tell what camera it is, can you tell us a bit more about it? 

Also, there really aren't a bunch of companies making taps. Even the modern HD taps, can't be used to insure proper focus. The viewfinder is really the only way to insure get focus on a film camera. 

They only make modern taps for more modern cameras too. 

Oh sorry! Yes, it's a CP-16R.

2 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Hard to recommend anything without knowing the camera, format etc.

Those connectors look like a Hirose 4 pin for power and a BNC output for video (probably SD). Reminds me of the old SD splits we had for SRs at a rental house I worked for years ago. So it looks like your camera already has a video assist?

As Tyler said, even HD film camera video splits are not really good enough for accurate focus pulling, just framing. Especially if you’re not after anything high quality.

Visual Products sell good video split options for various cameras.

It's a CP-16R. Yes, sorry, the video assist is installed and was part of the package (I actually bought it from Visual Products).

I guess I don't even quite understand what I'm asking, ha. Where would I go about getting a video screen that would work with these connectors?

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Jon Salimes said:

It's a CP-16R. Yes, sorry, the video assist is installed and was part of the package (I actually bought it from Visual Products).

I guess I don't even quite understand what I'm asking, ha. Where would I go about getting a video screen that would work with these connectors?

I would ask Visual Products, but generally you'd use a mini monitor. BNC connections for video are common, but if it's an SD output you generally need to use an older SD mini monitor or use a convertor box. But ask VP, since they sold it to you, so they should know a compatible monitor and also have a power cable with the right connector and wiring to power the assist.

9 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I would ask Visual Products, but generally you'd use a mini monitor. BNC connections for video are common, but if it's an SD output you generally need to use an older SD mini monitor or use a convertor box. But ask VP, since they sold it to you, so they should know a compatible monitor and also have a power cable with the right connector and wiring to power the assist.

Thank you!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jon Salimes said:

Oh you need a monitor. That left connector is standard it’s called BNC. The camera produces an SD (standard definition) analog signal. So any cheap NTSC monitor should work fine. The right connector is power and it’s generally a special cable. Tho I’ve never seen a tap like that on the CP before, not sure if it’s externally powered or not. Maybe gotta dig in the package from VP. It should be in there if it’s required. 

• Premium Member

If your video tap is analog standard definition, then you will need a monitor (or wireless transmitter) that can accept an analog composite video signal. Usually, this will be an older model like a TVLogic 5.6WP, TVLogic LVM-074, Panasonic 1700/1710/1760, or an older Marshall 7” monitor. Newer monitors are generally HD-SDI (digital) only, so they won’t work without an analog to digital converter box.

Don’t assume that your video tap is NTSC - it most likely is if Visual Products made it, but there are a lot of PAL taps out there too. Best to make sure before you invest in a new monitor.

The other connector is a Hirose 4-pin, as Dom says. Usually used to provide 12v power on broadcast style cameras. You tend to see them on Sony and Panasonic cameras. So it appears likely that you need to provide external power to the tap camera. I would double check with Visual Products to see what is needed.