Anyone familiar with the Arri 16s? Having trouble with the 400ft magazine

Jake Wolfert

Hoping to get some info from those of you who are familiar with this camera. Currently I'm struggling to get the 400ft magazine to work. The camera runs the film through fine, but the take up side isn't properly sucking the exposed film up onto the core. The take up side doesn't rotate and the exposed film just bunches up inside the magazine. Why is this? Would this indicate a problem with the magazine motor? Something else perhaps? Thank you for your help.

1 minute ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The 16S has a motor that runs on the back. Make sure the connections are all good and double check it's running. Screen-Shot-2019-01-03-at-8-54-28-AM.thumb.png.ff9fd4606cdd69c62159c719f353560d.png

I'm sure the motor is properly attached. There is no additional power connection needed on the motor correct? The connections between the mag and camera power it right? I have noticed that when the motor is switched to the V/F forward position, the take up side does not rotate at all. It is only when I disengage the motor and put it in the neutral position does the take up side rotate. 

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Jake Wolfert said:

I'm sure the motor is properly attached. There is no additional power connection needed on the motor correct? The connections between the mag and camera power it right? I have noticed that when the motor is switched to the V/F forward position, the take up side does not rotate at all. It is only when I disengage the motor and put it in the neutral position does the take up side rotate. 

Oh good that's a good sign. So if it does take up, but no fast enough or something? can you make a video? 

• Premium Member

It’s possible you have a ground problem, which was solved by using a ground cable to the mag. See this post for details:

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/topic/79390-arri-s-16mm-camera-400-magazine-troubles/&do=findComment&comment=510975

It’s also mentioned in this manual:

http://www.visualproducts.com/pdf/Arriflex16SManualArri16SManual.pdf

But the fact the take up only rotates when the mag is switched to neutral is odd, suggesting there may be an issue with the forward/reverse gearbox. 

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Jake Wolfert said:

I have noticed that when the motor is switched to the V/F forward position, the take up side does not rotate at all. It is only when I disengage the motor and put it in the neutral position does the take up side rotate. 

Do you mean you can rotate the take up spindle by hand once the motor is in neutral, or the motor itself turns the take up when set to neutral?

2 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Do you mean you can rotate the take up spindle by hand once the motor is in neutral, or the motor itself turns the take up when set to neutral?

My kit has the power cable with the ground and I still have the same issue even when using it. And to clarify, I can rotate the take up side by hand when in neutral. Regardless of what setting I put the motor in the take up side will not turn itself. I'm beginning to think my motor is simply broken. I attached a video of the issue

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Jake Wolfert said:

My kit has the power cable with the ground and I still have the same issue even when using it. And to clarify, I can rotate the take up side by hand when in neutral. Regardless of what setting I put the motor in the take up side will not turn itself. I'm beginning to think my motor is simply broken. I attached a video of the issue

Ah ok. So it's normal once the motor is disengaged that the take-up can be turned by hand, but if there's no motor response then the best assumption is either the motor is not working or the power is not getting through. You could check whether you're getting power at the mag interface with a multimeter to rule out a power issue. Beyond that, a technician probably needs to check the kit over.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jake Wolfert said:

Got ya, it’s probably a worn connector or the motor is frozen. They’re super easy to take off, few screws on the back and you can also measure the voltage. 

Also, I’m in LA if ya want me to look. It’s not a big deal to fix unless the motor is toast which I doubt. It’s probably just stuck due to lack of lubricant, or a worn connector. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Got ya, it’s probably a worn connector or the motor is frozen. They’re super easy to take off, few screws on the back and you can also measure the voltage. 

Also, I’m in LA if ya want me to look. It’s not a big deal to fix unless the motor is toast which I doubt. It’s probably just stuck due to lack of lubricant, or a worn connector. 

I took the back off, not sure what exactly to look for, or if this photo https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JBIO4RECIsXm2eM4YYuhSxY0AxEF07bI/view?usp=sharing is helpful at all. But I'd love for you to take a look if you're willing. Thanks. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Jake Wolfert said:

But I'd love for you to take a look if you're willing. Thanks. 

So make sure that whole assembly turns. Then check the connections. 

I'll be around during the week next week, on a shoot this weekend. Send me a PM and we'll figure it out.