Eumig Nautica questions

Andrew Law

I recently bought an Eumig Nautica to use on a project. The manual says the only film to be used in this camera are of ASA: 25D, 100D, 40T, or 160T. The camera is fully automatic and there is no way to set the film speed. How does the camera tell what speed film I am shooting on? I would like to shoot on Vision 3 film. Either 50D, 200T, or 250D. What would the camera read these films as? For example, would 50D be read at 25D or 100D? And so on. I am going to have the film scanned in raw and a flat profile to get the most latitude, but am curious what my best bet would be.

Edited by Andrew Law

Cameras can tell the speed of the film based on the size of the notch on the edge of the plastic cartridge. 

Apparently there's a way to 'hack' the cartridge to get an automatic camera to read a cartridge to the closest setting the camera can meter for.

If you can get the camera to read a 50 D as a 25D that would wok fine since that'll only over expose by 1 stop. Lots of people over expose  Negative stocks by a stop in general. 

Here's a couple of links.

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Super_8_Cartridge_Notch_Ruler