2k or 4k Scan for 4x3 finish?

Sean Dahlberg

Posted this in 16mm but maybe it belongs here...

I'm about to DP a short film where the director and myself would like to shoot 4x3...I've always finished 1.66 or 1.85 with my XTR Prod and the 2k scans have been great for that but I don't believe they would be large enough scans for a true 2k DCP finish? A 2k DCP finish for 4x3 would be 2048x1556 (?), so in order to completely fill that frame I would need 4k scans, correct? Thank you for the insight

• Site Sponsor

There is not a 2048x1556 DCP it has to fit into the 2048x1080 or 4096x2160 height of a 2K or 4K DCP so there will be matte/bars left and right for a DCP projector presentation. You can play a 4:3 on Vimeo or YouTube but all the DCI Theaters are set resolution.

Resolution is only one factor in scanning, noise (fixed pattern or other) in the scan, color accuracy and fidelity and dynamic range are all as or more important. So a 2K scan on a BMD Cintel will be pretty poor compared to a 2k scan on Xena 6.5K or Scan Station 6.5K or a Scannity scan even thought the resolution may be the same or similar.

A good 2K scan for a 2K DCP would be my goto recommendation for 1.33 4:3 finish.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1