The preservation of 41 years of VFX knowledge

Ricardo Garza

As we know Cinefex is going out of business, for many years Cinefex magazine published exclusively on print or ipad and at this point costumer service stopped answering questions. i'm a firm believer in preservation and as of right now They have no plans to publish all back issues on a non ipad format Cinefex even admitted that the ipad app has problems ( including missing issues) and yet they never bothered to fix it.  

This bothers me since i am an andorid user. of course i could just get the 174 issues on physical form but some of the prints a rare and demand huge prices on ebay and i dont image owning all 174 hard cover books anyways. 

i just wish I could be available in a more accessible way but it seems that Cinefex's parent company does not care.

cinefex-124.jpg

• Premium Member

That is a very big shame.

The problem with Cinefex was, by the time I started getting interested, the answer to every question was "we wrote a Maya plug-in to do it," which to me is significantly less interesting than the practical effects. I have a copy somewhere of what I seem to recall is a bumper edition covering the Alien series and it's wonderful. Later editions became a succession of people talking about MEL scripting. 

I hope some sort of solution is put in place.

• Upvote 1

Do you have a University or College nearby with a film school or film studies program?  I have a nearby University with a film studies program and I'm pretty sure they have every edition of American Cinematographer.  May have the same for Cinefex.  Could be a way to either know they are there when you want to read them or scan them for your own library although I imagine that could take awhile.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:55 PM, Pat Murray said:

Do you have a University or College nearby with a film school or film studies program?  I have a nearby University with a film studies program and I'm pretty sure they have every edition of American Cinematographer.  May have the same for Cinefex.  Could be a way to either know they are there when you want to read them or scan them for your own library although I imagine that could take awhile.

Well, at the moment i am in collage. we have a libraby but we dont have magazines just books.