Processing Eastman 7254

• Premium Member

Yea David is right, it's ECN1 style processing, which is entirely incompatible with ECN2 or C41 processes.

The ECN1 process holds the film in the developer for 7 - 9 minutes with a lower temp. The ECN2 process, holds the film in the developer for three minutes at a higher temp. So yea, any ECN1 film processed in an ECN2 bath, would be under developed by a fair margin. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yea David is right, it's ECN1 style processing, which is entirely incompatible with ECN2 or C41 processes.

The ECN1 process holds the film in the developer for 7 - 9 minutes with a lower temp. The ECN2 process, holds the film in the developer for three minutes at a higher temp. So yea, any ECN1 film processed in an ECN2 bath, would be under developed by a fair margin. 

Thanks Tyler, We still can't understand why the 400' of film that hails from 1971, is exposed - but not processed. I'm thinking that it might be worth popping it into a changing bag to cut off a couple of inches just to confirm that it is indeed un-processed. The can is quite rusty and is sealed with camera tape. it's marked as 'B camera roll 2' and has a Rank labs 'Exposed Negative' label. Beginning to think it's a 'no hoper',

2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I don't think it can be run through a modern ECN2 or C41 process, it needed a pre-hardening step of some sort (I could be wrong.)

Thanks David, Looks like the chances of finding out what's on this reel are very slim.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Roger Owen said:

I'm thinking that it might be worth popping it into a changing bag to cut off a couple of inches just to confirm that it is indeed un-processed.

Yea I mean you can buy an ECN 2 developer kit and just run it like ECN 1. All you need to do is see if there is an image right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

You might be lucky- it might be single perf, then you can tell if it's tail out (exposed) or head out.

'A' wind or 'B' wind as we used to call it - I never really understood the concept, I was always happier with 35mm! I'd recognise unprocessed as soon as I saw it - not sure if I've still got a changing bag in the loft though.

14 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

Take a few feet and develop it in Dektol and see if there are images. 

Thanks Frank, Interesting. However have found a Lab that can process (Cinelab), It's still a mystery that 10 x 400' rolls were shot back in 1971 - but never processed. Seems to have been a 2 camera shoot by camera designations on top labels. DoP sadly no longer with us, may always remain a mystery.

14 hours ago, Roger Owen said:

'A' wind or 'B' wind as we used to call it - I never really understood the concept, I was always happier with 35mm! I'd recognise unprocessed as soon as I saw it - not sure if I've still got a changing bag in the loft though.

Yes, hadn't appreciated that- thought the choice was just between exposed and unexposed.

Cupboard under the stairs after dark? Quick dive in and snap a bit off?

26 minutes ago, Mark Dunn said:

Yes, hadn't appreciated that- thought the choice was just between exposed and unexposed.

Cupboard under the stairs after dark? Quick dive in and snap a bit off?

Good plan Mark, However - the cupboard under the stairs is completely full of old junk, old Mitchells, Arris, Nagras, Super Baltar lenses, Cooke and Taylor Hobson glass, Steenbecks and Moviolas - just not a square inch of space to squeeze myself in!

Note to self: Must order a skip!   ?

29 minutes ago, Roger Owen said:

Steenbecks

?I want to see this cupboard! Ours only has wine and gas meters in it. The 1600 is in the dining room office studio

(see "Today's Office"!)

Edited by Mark Dunn

1 hour ago, Mark Dunn said:

?I want to see this cupboard! Ours only has wine and gas meters in it. The 1600 is in the dining room office studio

(see "Today's Office"!)

Unfortunately, my cupboard under the stairs is a virtual memory at the back of my mind! Have owned all this kit and more - many years ago... all gone now, sadly. Had a 1400, and a 1600 that got converted to S16 by Mel Worsfold, and a couple of 6 plate 35mm ones 901 or something? More Moviolas than you could shake a stick at (preferred to fine cut on Moviola after assemble editing on Steenbeck). All I have left is a loft full of mainly 16mm footage that I can't even look at!

Now, about that wine.......

• Upvote 1

Ah, I see. I was born and raised in Roding Lane North. Have looked at my old house on Google maps - did not recognise it. I fortunately have use of a 1400 at the nearby Beaulieu Motor Museum Film Dept (where they also have TK facilities including 2 Mk 3 Cintels and a 2K spirit. But unfortunately all closed up for the time being.