Theatrical Spotlights suggestions for student short film

Hi everyone. Looking for a solution for an upcoming film shoot. First time shooting on S16 film! Very excited. Sorry if something might sound amateurish, it's the first time I'm lighting interiors and looking to learn. 

The whole film takes place on a stage with one character and I'm trying to understand what is the best solution to light him with a 'limelight' effect.

I did a test shoot with a 750W Source Four Leko opening around 4 and it looked pretty good but once I started applying some CTB the light wasn't enough anymore.  I'm sharing here a link with a couple of stills from the test. They are untouched, straight from the Lab. The progression is No CTB, Half CTB, Full CTB. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XvXJM-6FlogauyfdX1n-kXnSXDwfQnvx?usp=sharing

Question is, is it possible to combine more 750 Lekos, since they are so cheap to rent, keeping a single light beam? Maybe having two opened at different degrees?

If that is not a good solution, what would you suggest? 1600 Joleko? 

A reference for lighting the short film is the infamous Frank TJ Mackey stage scene in Magnolia. I was applying CTB on the Lekos to have more of a daylight look like the one in the scene.

Here is the link for the scene that I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbanWHx5AFQ

At minute 1.13 you can see the reverse shot and you can spot the light they were using that day. Which light do you think it is? Since it is so far away is it maybe a bigger unit and they found a way to mimic a hard 'limelight' spot effect? Are there any other lights on Cruise character? Like ambience lights? Or more in general, how do you think this scene was lit?

Another reference is this scene in The Prestige: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etsiRLgSrsA

Why the light on Jackman appears to be more 'bluish' than the one on Cruise? I read on ASC that they lit the scene with just Source Fours and 2K backs. Sorry for the ignorance but what would they mean with 2k Backs? And in general how do you think this was lit in comparison to the Magnolia scene?

Thank you for all the help and sorry for the many questions! Just want to make a good work.

Leonardo

• Premium Member

It is not possible to combine multiple hard sources to one beam without having serious drawbacks like multiple shadows. 

I would suggest having the par ungelled if it is barely bright enough. Or you can try to replace it with a 2k tungsten source. Personally I like to use 1.2k hmi par for this type of stuff if the spotlight does not need very sharp edges. If the very sharp edges are needed, then you will need a leko.

It is possible to create the spotlight with one source and then light the subject from the sides with other sources which are flagged off of the stage surface to hide their position

• Premium Member

Moleipso.  

Mole made a 2k Leko.  Its giant.  Its usually cheap. It will work.

The Joker 1600 with leko option will be brighter, because it won't need gel, but much more expensive.