change name/delete account

hello, would like to change my name and delete my account to erase my presence from this website. nothing against it, I just want more personal privacy. 

28 minutes ago, Max Field said:

The guidelines may disagree with you on that one

503ea528aa9078b896bcc4efb093c0a1.png

Didn't know that, my bad. Also not asking for that. Could buy name be changed to Guest or something? I've seen it done before 

2 hours ago, Dylan Gill said:

Didn't know that, my bad. Also not asking for that. Could buy name be changed to Guest or something? I've seen it done before 

This is a REAL NAMES forum for a good reason.

While I support the policy of using real names and accountability, I still can't but wonder if that policy should extend to those who wish to leave the community. In the last twenty years the impact of searching for people and their history online has become far stronger than it was, for example, when I joined.

I truly believe there is a good, real reason why EU enforces GDPR and the right to be forgotten online.

Cinematography.com most likely isn't affected by GDPR. Regardless I think the option of removing one's name when leaving should be granted. That option -- to the extent of removing one's content -- exists even on Facebook and other social media.

But anyway, I'm not the administrator here nor even a supporting member so that is only my personal opinion.

9 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

While I support the policy of using real names and accountability, I still can't but wonder if that policy should extend to those who wish to leave the community. In the last twenty years the impact of searching for people and their history online has become far stronger than it was, for example, when I joined.

I truly believe there is a good, real reason why EU enforces GDPR and the right to be forgotten online.

Cinematography.com most likely isn't affected by GDPR. Regardless I think the option of removing one's name when leaving should be granted. That option -- to the extent of removing one's content -- exists even on Facebook and other social media.

But anyway, I'm not the administrator here nor even a supporting member so that is only my personal opinion.

This is what I’m asking for, I’m trying to minimize my online time as the pandemic is ending and I don’t feel like I need to post here any more. 

I don’t understand why I can’t delete my account/have the name removed once I’m gone. I’m not asking to post under a pseudonym. 

I’ve also never had to ask for an account deletion publicly before. It’s usually under account settings of most websites/forums. 

I’m not trying to ruffle feathers I just want to delete my account and not have it anchored to me forever. 

I'd take a dim view of it. Deleting someone's content might make certain threads nonsensical, and really, unless you've been amazingly outspoken on some sensitive topic, really, what's the harm?

1 hour ago, Phil Rhodes said:

...unless you've been amazingly outspoken on some sensitive topic, really, what's the harm?

To be honest I was thinking back to the 'out of work thread' very early in the pandemic and in light of recent anti-Asian violence I felt bad about my replies. However I just looked them up and they weren't as offensive as I remember. I think the Chinese government did a horrible job and continues to do many bad things but I don't wish to bring that sentiment on innocent people/their citizens/our citizens.

That is just something I don't want to add fuel to the fire of, though I guess the thread's locked and we aren't reaching millions of people, I don't know, I still feel guilt. 

I also feel like I was wrong about lockdowns-- I think in my shock of the situation and anger I was losing out on a job, I downplayed needing mitigation efforts. Frankly I'm embarrassed by my replies in that thread in general. 

2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

You'd have to talk to Tim Tyler.

I've messaged Tim. Sorry about the mess of a thread guys, I didn't know how to initiate deactivation. 

2 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I'd take a dim view of it. Deleting someone's content might make certain threads nonsensical, and really, unless you've been amazingly outspoken on some sensitive topic, really, what's the harm?

Removing a name doesn’t remove the content. I think only Sustaining Members can delete their content. Richard Boddington deleted a whole swathe of his posts not long ago before removing his name from the forum, and it does make those threads pretty nonsensical.

Unfortunately for him, any responses that quoted him retain his name and the quoted content. 

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have your name removed from your past posts if you want to reclaim your anonymity though. 

I hope that Tim is following this..

I do not think that any of us should have the chance to make gross rewrites or deletes. The short time window that most of us have should be enough. Sustaining members are not special people, in fact some are complete a--holes.

Tim, please change this...

On the other hand, maybe deleting the posts of certain individuals is a legitimate thing to do. Heck, just delete them. But someone else should do that....Why am I talking in the plural...the singular case would do...