Can you identify this viewfinder accessory from the 1920s?

I'm not sure in which forum this question belongs, but this one will do I think. Have a look at this photo posted by The ASC on Twitter:

Look at the device placed behind the viewfinder. It looks like it could be an optical viewing screen. What do you think it could be?

• Premium Member

I would think it is a sun shade that is mounted upside down on the viewer, just to keep it handy while not in use.

That's funny, because I timed the reconstruction of this film a few years back;

https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/girl-reconstructed-clara-bow-in-get-your-man-1927/

We had to bridge gaps with stills and titles, but it was all we had. 

Thanks, Frank. Amazing how some films just disappeared forever. I know we can't and shouldn't keep literally everything, but... you don't always know what you should and shouldn't preserve until much later. And Hollywood wasn't concerned with that philosophy back then, I don't think.

• Premium Member

Karim,

It is really strange how some motion picture elements can lead a charmed life while others can barely seem to make to the cinema before vanishing from the face of the Earth.  "Purposeful" destruction, fires, floods, poor storage and neglect are among the most prevalent reasons, but it varies wildly on a title by title basis.

Hollywood, as a general term, is a business and it thinks in business-like terms even today.