Black Swan Chinaball

Hey everyone,

I’m shootings a film that has a ton of night sequences on city streets with little light. I saw Black Swan bts where their gaffer was using what looked like a handheld battery powered China ball. Could someone offer any advice on where to buy one of these and/or how to build one?

thanks!

best,

ryan 

Recommend getting a battery powered litemat, Aladdin Bi-Flex or any other foldable bi-colored light and putting it into a paper chinaball. Don’t forget about putting some sort of diffusion onto the open end of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

I have been using the Aputure Lanterns (both sizes) with their b7c e27 lamps for handheld walk and talk kind of situations at night. Because both are so cheap, I recommend putting a e27 splitter with 3 or 5 bulbs in there. That way, the batteries last longer and if you need it (which in those classical night ext 800 iso, t2.8 situations you wont) the output is still there. If you want to run them of a v mount, I recommend using a Tether Tools d-tap to edison adapter in a backpack and wiring the lantern up to that. Of course, if you are using said adapter, you could also use Astera Nyx at that point, whatever is easier and more accessible to you.