Not being flippant, but why are you trying to determine this?  Do you just like/not like the quality or ???

Used to be scanning out to the edge of the film was an unusual characteristic; more in line with an archival-purposed scanner, but now I am unsure if this is a unique quality with among the latest generation of motion picture film scanners.

42 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

Used to be scanning out to the edge of the film was an unusual characteristic; more in line with an archival-purposed scanner, but now I am unsure if this is a unique quality with among the latest generation of motion picture film scanners.

That's my confusion. I could see including a bit of a sprocket hole, but the whole width of a standard 16 print?!

And yes, this is from a sequence. It's animation.

Yes, this is a selling point for archival scanners.  Curators want to see everything;  out to the edge of the film to capture edge codes and even inked sync numbers.

Terra

4 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

looks like a Captain Scarlet or Thunderbirds character to me

Close. Terrahawks. I'm just trying to figure out why it was scanned that way.

What's funny is a Curator who asks for a 4K scan and wants to see the entire area of the film, but still thinks they are getting a 4K program image.  No amount of explanation will seem to convince them otherwise...

2 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

What's funny is a Curator who asks for a 4K scan and wants to see the entire area of the film, but still thinks they are getting a 4K program image.  No amount of explanation will seem to convince them otherwise...

You have to look at it more like megapixels. A 4K scan has a certain amount of resolution and you are getting that resolution, just not the full 4K width. 

2 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Terra

Close. Terrahawks. I'm just trying to figure out why it was scanned that way.

If it a few frame clip, it is easier to scan bits of it on the flatbed scanner or light box that run it though a scanner to extract samples.

I didn't read this whole thread. If the entire film was scanned like that then maybe they wanted to be 'artsy.' If you use AEO Light to extract the sound you have to scan the optical track as well, but not much else.

7 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

Yes, this is a selling point for archival scanners.  Curators want to see everything;  out to the edge of the film to capture edge codes and even inked sync numbers.

Yes, there is important info on the edges. 

Amazon.com: Physical Characteristics of Early Films as Aids to Identification: New expanded Edition (9782960029697): Bolt-Wellens, Camille: Books

Here is a piece of damaged film from a 1931 stag film called 'The Radio Man.'

I scanned it on the flatbed scanner. Download and magnifier OP. Or click on it and scroll it up sized.

nsfw

Broken 16mm Film D.D. Teoli Jr. A.C. : Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Hard to tell without seeing the overscan of the scanner gate, which is cropped in this pic.

Has to be a newer machine which can image the full or most of the film gauge width so a Kinetta or Xena (full width) or a Scan Station (almost the full width) with our Xena I can scan the full 16mm width at 6464 pixels for example.