Soft or hard light in opening sequence of the godfather1

Hello friends
I'm sorry, my questions seem obvious, but its on my mind
Do you think soft or hard light was used in the opening sequence of Godfather 1?
On the one hand I think the light is soft and on the other hand I think the light is hard (because of the depth of the shadows and the sharpness of the edges of the shadows )  What do you think? Thanks a lot

main-qimg-985923d107a5eddcd6d3ede59551a020.png

Edited by amirali mohammadi

• Premium Member

Somewhat soft, I guess?

People tend to refer to something as "soft light" if it's a large source. If you move that source further away, the shadows get sharper, but everyone would probably still think of it (inaccurately, maybe) as a soft light.

Maybe try some experiments. That effect could be a light source the size of a sheet of letter paper a couple of feet above his head, or it could be something ten feet square, fifty feet above his head.

7 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Somewhat soft, I guess?

People tend to refer to something as "soft light" if it's a large source. If you move that source further away, the shadows get sharper, but everyone would probably still think of it (inaccurately, maybe) as a soft light.

Maybe try some experiments. That effect could be a light source the size of a sheet of letter paper a couple of feet above his head, or it could be something ten feet square, fifty feet above his head.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...