Have you Googled yourself...are you happy with your online presence?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

A gal wrote me and wanted to be buddies on LinkedIn. I used to have thousands of connections back in the day. Then one day I went too far and LinkedIn closed my account. I lost everything including the thousands of connections.  I was able to rejoin a few years later, but now am very choosy who I buddy up with and also what I post there. 

A gal wrote me to ask to be my buddy there. She claimed to be an artist. Lots of people write me to be my buddy. I Google them and see where they are at with their 'so-called' career. Lots of BS'ers out there. 

This gals name was Sona Sahakian

Here is her image search...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sona+Sahakian&sxsrf=ALeKk00rTyQSoHK8XwAfWHGRML0gu1fVig:1617290518758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisuPnWrN3vAhVQZc0KHQ5XAfQQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1312&bih=865

Well, she does art, so I approved her as a buddy. 

I'm visually oriented, not text oriented. Intellectuals are text oriented. I don't like reading about people much. I may do it later if something about them hits me. But in 5 seconds a Google image search sums them up pretty well. I have no time to waste.

Have you Googled yourself...are you happy with your online presence?

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

I used to be completely overwhelmed by the naval architect, but unfortunately I've done a bit of writing since then.

I don't do social media of any kind, I no longer maintain a website, and if people want to find me online I tend to direct them here.

Just googled my name. It was funny - you know the small window in which Google usually shows information taken from Wikipedia? Well, apparently they aggregate the data from different sources. So, there I found my photo combined with Wikipedia text for a historical person who died 1935 and with the publication list showing books written by a third person. And the only thing we share is our name...

Media literacy - I really do hope people have that! (they don't)

• Premium Member

I spent a lot of time getting my name to work on google searches, it's not easy. But it works and that's honestly how I get a lot of clients. Hopefully this year I can shoot some more and put together a decent demo reel. That's really all I'm lacking to be more viable than I already am. The more active you seem online, the easier it is to get work in my opinion. I only keep social media for the business aspects. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 7:25 AM, Justin Hayward said:

I think I’m safe. Google “Justin Hayward“ and see what you get.

edit: and no, my parents did not do that on purpose.

That is tough. I worked with an artist like that. He had the same name as a famous politician in Australia. But it all depends how you you want to show up online. Some people maybe want to stay low key online. 

On 4/2/2021 at 7:59 AM, Phil Rhodes said:

I used to be completely overwhelmed by the naval architect, but unfortunately I've done a bit of writing since then.

I don't do social media of any kind, I no longer maintain a website, and if people want to find me online I tend to direct them here.

Why did you cut out all that internet coverage? What is wrong with a website?

I'm not on social media because FB banned me after a couple weeks. I'd use Instagram, but I have no camera cell phone. I just have a cheapo Walmart Tracfone for $85 a year. I can't figure out how to post photos on Instagram with my computer. 

I had near 50 Tumblr's back in the day, but they pulled the plug in 2019 and lost it all. I have 80+ WordPress websites, but have done little with them lately as had trouble with the Internet Archive and got sick of wasting my time building things just to have them wiped out...slickening. I have had minimal hassle with WordPress over the years. But that means nothing. Things can change overnight.

I'd say anyone that has social media has to be worried about being put on the sht list nowadays. So maybe it is better to keep your mouth shut. 

On 4/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, Heikki Repo said:

Just googled my name. It was funny - you know the small window in which Google usually shows information taken from Wikipedia? Well, apparently they aggregate the data from different sources. So, there I found my photo combined with Wikipedia text for a historical person who died 1935 and with the publication list showing books written by a third person. And the only thing we share is our name...

Media literacy - I really do hope people have that! (they don't)

Using a middle initial sometimes helps keep people separate. I found out early if I made comments on other people's blogs / websites their images show up in my image searches. So I cut out the practice years ago. Then as time went on I didn't care and now comment as I like.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

I spent a lot of time getting my name to work on google searches, it's not easy. But it works and that's honestly how I get a lot of clients. Hopefully this year I can shoot some more and put together a decent demo reel. That's really all I'm lacking to be more viable than I already am. The more active you seem online, the easier it is to get work in my opinion. I only keep social media for the business aspects. 

Do you use your name on all media online?

I mean right in the description of the file. Lots of people don't do that. Download your files and see what name is on them. Also a middle initial helps distinguish you from others online.

Here is an old post I wrote about the importance of naming your digital files. It is NSFW and contains strong content. So if you are easily offended don't view it. And if you are moderately easy to offend...don't view it. (Not that I care if you are offended, but I don't want to cause a big ruckus.)

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/05/09/the-importance-of-naming-your-digital-files/

In the post I discuss the importance of naming files and about how you can become mixed up with other people online in Goggle searches. 

I have my name on many hundred of thousand of files online. That is one of the reasons I go by D.D.Teoli Jr. for a lot of the content. I get sick of writing my full name out all the time. So like it short and sweet. A short name also gives me more room for the description. Sometimes long names / descriptions cause problems. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Do you use your name on all media online?

I mean right in the description of the file. Lots of people don't do that. Download your files and see what name is on them. Also a middle initial helps distinguish you from others online.

Depends. I think it's lame to name every YouTube video "Title" + "my name" that's kinda silly. I tag my files and let the google crawlers find them. It does work, tho honestly I just launched my first YouTube page where my name means something. So hopefully the tagging does work and I think it will. I have tested this theory with other YouTube content on my other channels and it does work. The great news is that there are no other cinematographer/directors with my name. So it's pretty easy to identify which Tyler is the right Tyler. Tho I will admit, when you type in my name, you will get a lot of my other hobbies as well. Not a bad thing as diversification is great. If you google search my name, on the right side it says "people also search for" and some pretty high-end people show up there as well. Just imagine when I actually make something worth watching hahahah ?

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Why did you cut out all that internet coverage? What is wrong with a website?

I didn't cut it out; I never did social media. I started feeling like a real adult when I heard about facebook and realised it was something I thought was utterly ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with a website, I just have no need for one. I still own the domain name and I might do something with it one day.

P