OPTON S16 primes - permanent conversion to PL?

I have a set of OPTON S16 lenses. They're equipped with RAF-camera ARRI B - PL adapters. Now, 1,5 years after previous service, the 9.5mm and 12mm won't reach infinity anymore. So I'm going to get the whole set serviced but I was wondering if someone somewhere can convert the whole set to PL?

And is there someone here that could share some experience using these lenses with high quality adapters VS permanent PL conversion? Is there any real advantage or down sides to conversion? It it even possible?

One option might also be to get them rehoused - has anyone done that?

• Premium Member

I don’t think anyone does a PL conversion since it’s so easy to just add an adapter, but I could be wrong. A good adapter shouldn’t shift - I’d recommend the type with a locking ring like this:

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=700&Cat=3&Cat2=43

The cheaper ones with grub screws can shift much more easily. The RAF camera ones should be more reliable, I think - they lock in the lens mount groove and have the locating tab - but maybe they develop play over time?  You may also have some thread wear causing focus shift rather than the adapter.

A full rehousing is a lot more expensive, but would improve the old mechanics considerably. Not sure who rehouses S16 Super Speeds, but ask the usual suspects - TLS, GL Optics, P&S Technik, etc.