Which lenses were used for "Come and See"?

Last night I watched for the first time Come and See on Criterion's Blu-ray. A mind-blowing film, sometimes difficult to watch, and that, for me, reinforces the cultural need for the shared experience of  watching movies in a theater.

Does anyone know which lenses were used? Thank you.

It's an absolute masterpiece. I have no idea what lenses were used, but Deakins did an episode of his podcast with Alexei Rodionov, the cinematographer of Come and See. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, so I don't know what all they cover regard Come and See, but it could be worth giving it a listen to see if anything about the lenses comes up.

https://teamdeakins.libsyn.com/alexei-rodionov-cinematographer

Edited by Leanne Summers

• Premium Member

For the time period, it was probably something Russian like Lomo. It's really hard to tell Lomo from Zeiss, they are so similar in look. I have done tuns of comparisons on my own projects between older Zeiss and Lomo lenses and to be honest, haven't seen any real differences. Only when you get to the more modern glass, you can start to tell a bit more. But with the cloudy landscape in the movie, sadly there is no real way to tell, unless someone told ya. 

Thank you for your input. I assumed Lomos, just because they’re Russian; I have no personal experience with them.

In my limited experience with Zeiss, I find their perspective to be a bit more distorted than other lenses.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Larry Miles said:

In my limited experience with Zeiss, I find their perspective to be a bit more distorted than other lenses.

Oh no, they aren't distorted. Maybe modern/inexpensive ones, but the classic Zeiss lenses like the standard speeds and super speeds are very good. 

• Premium Member
On 4/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, Tyler Purcell said:

Oh no, they aren't distorted. Maybe modern/inexpensive ones, but the classic Zeiss lenses like the standard speeds and super speeds are very good. 

I've shot with standard speeds extensively - they are absolutely distorted!  There is a decent amount of field curvature that gives a three-dimensional quality to center-framed subjects.  There is also a moderate amount of barrel distortion on all the lenses wider than 40mm. I think they are beautiful lenses and part of why I like them is their distortion compared to anything newer.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Dan Finlayson said:

I've shot with standard speeds extensively - they are absolutely distorted!  There is a decent amount of field curvature that gives a three-dimensional quality to center-framed subjects.  There is also a moderate amount of barrel distortion on all the lenses wider than 40mm. I think they are beautiful lenses and part of why I like them is their distortion compared to anything newer.

Yea I don't really worry about slight field curvature, barrel distortion is really the only major issue in my mind. When I say "they aren't distorted" it's speaking within the frameworks of the other lenses from the same vintage.