How did Deakins light this?

Hi,

I was curious about the shot below. intuitively, it feels like the window is casting a shadow on the wall, but at the same time the frame of the window is casting a shadow on the curtains, which to me suggest the window is being lit from the inside. Can anyone break this lighting setup or your personal approach to this?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AnJ0-Ts6gh4/hqdefault.jpg

• Premium Member

Looks like a practical lamp inside and hard light outside shooting in. The frame shadow is casting on the inside curtains, so the source is outside.

The hard source outside is low enough to light up the curtains to the ceiling, which can explain why the frame shadows are not lower. I think the light is at eye-level or lower as if from car headlights.

I think Stephen is correct but I'm guessing you haven't checked out the forums at www.rogerdeakins.com where you can ask him yourself. Great forums and podcast. 

Also - I just ordered an Eiko 500w bulb for $5 for just that purpose. 

Edited by Jim Perry

I think there is another light above/behind the practical and out of frame that is lighting the actor. You can tell that by the shadow on his reaching arm. Also, the practical alone would have lit the entire room more than that. The light on the actor is more controlled. 

• Premium Member
On 4/11/2021 at 9:11 PM, Jim Perry said:

Also - I just ordered an Eiko 500w bulb for $5 for just that purpose. 

Hey Jim, american E26 socket bulbs max out at 300w. You may have ordered the larger E39 Mogul base bulb.