XTR Plus Jitter issue

Hunter Zimny

Hey folks,
I come seeking advice and opinions.

I've had a random jitter shake that happens sometimes from an Aaton XTR plus. It's not detrimental and can usually be stabilized in post, however I'd love to fix it. Sometimes it will happen in the middle of a shot, sometimes it will happen throughout a take but it's totally unpredictable. Half of the time it doesn't happen at all. The jitter is always vertical and varies in severity.

We thought it was a mag issue but on the last project it happened on a rented mag which I've shot a feature worth of fresh stock on without issue. I think it's a problem with the pull down claw.

The camera and mags have been serviced twice by Girvan at Abel cine. Both times it was fully disassembled and cleaned including the claw which was adjusted but the issue persists.

Here's a video sample :

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Premium Member

That's a good one, my Bolex does the same thing right now, so I'm kind of aware that it's super annoying. It's most likely the spring loaded side rail not holding the film in place OR COULD be the pull down protrusion. My guess is, if the camera hasn't had the protrusion re-calibrated recently, it will need to be done. I actually have experimented with it several times, but only found more protrusion to make the camera louder. So I always backed off until the camera was quiet and sometimes due to wear on that part of the pulldown, you get weird issues like this. Since you're in New York, there are a few options. Du-All is one of them. Here on the west coast, Andree Martin (AM Camera) would be the best option. Let me know if you need any assistance, I'm good with these cameras and live in Hollywood.