Absolutely bonkers high ISO performance

Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Ben Scott said:

I've ordered the Tilta plates and they are due in the next week or so. Didn't get the Tilta V mount even though it looks nice because I'd rather use my rails mounted v-mount plate and be able to slide it back and forth for balance on the shoulder. 

Will report back. 

Nice, looking forward to your report Ben!

Am also curious what FE lenses people are using these days for autofocus? 

27 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

I've just got some old FD glass nothing autofocus although I might try a Sigma or two. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Ben Scott said:

I've just got some old FD glass nothing autofocus although I might try a Sigma or two. 

To be honest, the autofocus is the main reason I’m going with the FX6. Too many jobs without an AC these days - I’m looking forward to being able to operate certain types of shots with dynamic focus again without having to be on a tripod head or have the horizon go slightly off on the shoulder as I move my hand from grip to focus wheel. And my own focus pulling skills are not what they once were. It’s a perishable skill.

5 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

To be honest, the autofocus is the main reason I’m going with the FX6. Too many jobs without an AC these days - I’m looking forward to being able to operate certain types of shots with dynamic focus again without having to be on a tripod head or have the horizon go slightly off on the shoulder as I move my hand from grip to focus wheel. And my own focus pulling skills are not what they once were. It’s a perishable skill.

There are 3 new Sony G series compact primes coming out end of the month, with manual un clicked Iris and advertised as " linear" like response manual focus, and of course AF capabilities..  24 f2.8 and 40/50 f2.5.  metal body and look too be well made .. only $600 each !  all the same physical  dimensions .. they are in my sights !

Edited by Robin R Probyn

On 4/18/2021 at 6:25 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Tilta gear arrived today. Very well made and a great fit. 

I prefer my handles further from the baseplate so removed the baseplate-mounted ARRI rosettes but no obvious quirks or gotchas and loads of mounting points. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Ben Scott said:

Tilta gear arrived today. Very well made and a great fit. 

I prefer my handles further from the baseplate so removed the baseplate-mounted ARRI rosettes but no obvious quirks or gotchas and loads of mounting points. 

Nice! Did it come with the single rod holders for the top plate and the lens adapter support? 

I’m curious whether the single rod holders are correctly spaced for LW15 when used at the front of the top plate. I’m thinking of attaching the LCD/Zacuto loupe with a Bright Tangerine Axis EVF mount to front top rods. 

29 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Nice! Did it come with the single rod holders for the top plate and the lens adapter support? 

I’m curious whether the single rod holders are correctly spaced for LW15 when used at the front of the top plate. I’m thinking of attaching the LCD/Zacuto loupe with a Bright Tangerine Axis EVF mount to front top rods. 

Yes it came with both of those plus some short rods. Didn't measure the top rods but it all looked kosher. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Ben Scott said:

Update on the Tilta kit - The baseplate fits the Tilta Standard baseplate, not an Arri Dovetail, which is absolutely absurd. 

Does it have 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded holes on the bottom so that you can at least attach your own tripod plate? 

3 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Does it have 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded holes on the bottom so that you can at least attach your own tripod plate? 

Yes that's what I'm doing for now. Still a real silly design choice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

To be honest, the autofocus is the main reason I’m going with the FX6. Too many jobs without an AC these days...

I used this FX6 for a week for a new spot and... Oh my gosh. That AF feature is incredible.

I did a backwards doorway dolly following talent coming toward camera. It locked onto her without a problem and really eliminated retakes from missed focus. This allowed the director to deal with talent only. Really cool.

An issue I found was the unintuitive way to change faces. Canon makes it easy with touch screen, but Sony didnt go that route, and changes couldnt be done on the fly.