Newer lenses with Arri 2C (PL)

Sean Fisher

Does anyone have any experience with using newer lenses (DZO Vespids, Sigmas, Rokinon Xeen, etc) with a PL converted 2C? I'm wondering if the flanges on these lenses would hit the rotating mirror shutter. I'd also be interested in any info anyone has about stills lens adapters (like the Ironglass M42 - PL). Would you run into the same issue with the shutter? Basically open for any discussion about lens options for PL converted 2Cs.

I have not had any issues with the Ironglass adapters on my 2C. I have three of their M42 adapted lenses and zero problems.

I have other makes of M42 adapters, also without problems.

I can't comment on the newer lenses but in looking at them I suspect they're all fine.

The only lens I ever had a problem with was an old 22 mm Lomo adapted from OCT-18 that was barely touching the rotating mirror. I filed down a little of the metal near the rear element ( real mickey mouse attempt on my part) but it worked fine. 

10 hours ago, Sean Fisher said:

Thanks Phillip. That's very helpful to know. May I ask what lenses you are using? I'm looking at some Flektogons right now.

I wish I had a full set of matching cinema primes, but for now I own a mish-mash of inexpensive lenses. A lot of them are OCT-18 Lomos with adapters and a few M42 still lenses with PL adapters. 

Not all M42 lenses fit into a PL adapter. There's some info online about that.  The Helios 58mm works well for the vintage look, but many M42 lenses are impractical for cinema, as they were designed for stills and quite tiny .

I don't have any experience with the Flektogons but I'm sure they'd work decently for the price. 

Keep in mind, I'm not a pro DP. I shoot my personal projects with whatever I can cobble together. 

3 hours ago, Phillip Mosness said:

I wish I had a full set of matching cinema primes, but for now I own a mish-mash of inexpensive lenses. A lot of them are OCT-18 Lomos with adapters and a few M42 still lenses with PL adapters. 

I have a lot of oct-18 lomos as well. I love them all for their image. However, for some reason, most of them, especially the wider ones, have rear elements that protrude too deep. I use them with a PL adapter. But some of my favorites are not usable not only with film cameras but sometimes with some digital cameras as well. 

13 hours ago, Raymond Zananiri said:

I have a lot of oct-18 lomos as well. I love them all for their image. However, for some reason, most of them, especially the wider ones, have rear elements that protrude too deep. I use them with a PL adapter. But some of my favorites are not usable not only with film cameras but sometimes with some digital cameras as well. 

Hi Raymond,

What cameras are you using?

I haven't found the back elements a problem with the exception of one 22mm. 

I have found some adapters will hit the inner cavity of my Moviecam, though.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Vespids 25, 35, 50, 75, 100, 125mm fit on my Arriflex 3C. 

Thanks Satsuki

21 hours ago, Phillip Mosness said:

Not all M42 lenses fit into a PL adapter. There's some info online about that.  The Helios 58mm works well for the vintage look, but many M42 lenses are impractical for cinema, as they were designed for stills and quite tiny .

I don't have any experience with the Flektogons but I'm sure they'd work decently for the price. 

Keep in mind, I'm not a pro DP. I shoot my personal projects with whatever I can cobble together. 

I'm most likely going the mish-mash route initially. Also, I'm not doing pro DP work either. I shoot experimental 16mm and now branching into 35. So I feel like I have it easier when it comes to incorporating quirks. That said, I'd eventually like to get nice set. 

I've been toying with the idea of picking up some of the first gen sony primes (if they remain at a cheap enough price to justify it). Even though the build quality is not great, they might be a compromise for decent image quality and a lens that operates like a cinema lens. Only for under a certain price point.

18 hours ago, Raymond Zananiri said:

Admittedly, I have to learn more about the Lomos in general.

Edited by Sean Fisher

9 hours ago, Phillip Mosness said:

Hi Raymond,

What cameras are you using?

I haven't found the back elements a problem with the exception of one 22mm. 

I have found some adapters will hit the inner cavity of my Moviecam, though.

The 28mm PO61. Beautiful lens. But goes 32mm from PL mount edge to rear element. Can't use it on Moviecam SL or Sony F35 (when close to infinity). The 28mm OKC 4 is less deep and works with the F35 but not the moviecam. 

The 35mm OKC 8 is another great lens. Cannot use it with Moviecam but barely with F35 (I suspect it touches the sensor glass at infinity). The 35mm OKC 11 is less deep and works on both cameras but the copy I have is very soft (most likely detached element) so will have to wait to find another one. 

Just bought (but waiting for shipment) a 22 mm OKC 1. Is that the one you have a problem with?

Looking for an 18mm one at a good price. 

50mm, 75mm and above are not a problem at all with either cameras. 

Overall, I love them all. More than any modern lenses. 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Raymond Zananiri said:

The 28mm PO61. Beautiful lens. But goes 32mm from PL mount edge to rear element. Can't use it on Moviecam SL or Sony F35 (when close to infinity). The 28mm OKC 4 is less deep and works with the F35 but not the moviecam. 

The 35mm OKC 8 is another great lens. Cannot use it with Moviecam

As a fellow Moviecam SL owner, this is very good to know. Thank you!

On 4/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

As a fellow Moviecam SL owner, this is very good to know. Thank you!

I'm assuming that the SL and Compact are similar in that they have less room in the opening. 

I know that any PL mount adapter that sticks out more that a centimeter(if I remember) is going to collide with the walls in there.

My Arri BL and 2C are much more forgiving in that regard. 

Not to mention the side mounted mirror of the 2C vs. Bottom mirror on most others can make a difference.