Carnet for personal use equipment?

Uli Meyer

• Premium Member

It is difficult to find information about traveling from the UK to EU with professional camera equipment for personal use. Do I need a carnet even though the filming is for a non-commercial, personal project? I am traveling with wife and son and planning on taking a flight case with an Arriflex 235, batteries, a couple of prime lenses and a matte box.

Has anyone had any experience with this since Brexit?

• Premium Member

Hi Uli

Living in Switzerland, I'm in a similar situation with my film cameras. I would get a carnet for your camera because it'll prove instantly you only temporarily bring the camera to the EU, so you don't have to pay taxes. I don't think it matters if it's for a personal project or a professional one - also, how would you prove this? Look at it from the customs side: how would they know you didn't buy the camera while visiting Germany and try to get it to the UK without paying taxes. The carnet clarifies that.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

Hi Uli

Living in Switzerland, I'm in a similar situation with my film cameras. I would get a carnet for your camera because it'll prove instantly you only temporarily bring the camera to the EU, so you don't have to pay taxes. I don't think it matters if it's for a personal project or a professional one - also, how would you prove this? Look at it from the customs side: how would they know you didn't buy the camera while visiting Germany and try to get it to the UK without paying taxes. The carnet clarifies that.

Thanks David, this makes sense. It's a real pain though, especially since only a few months ago this would not have been an issue.

Yeah as Dave says , its basically a passport for gear, doesn't matter what your going to do with it , but you can put the value estimates down to lower the deposit cost  .. and I would study up which pages need to be torn out and where customs should sign and date etc .. the biggest hassle Ive had is customs officials doing it wrong ! .. then its big hassle getting your deposit back ..you really have to check them and often Im telling them how to fill the thing in properly .. many have no clue what a carnet is .. also don't check in your batteries if they are lithium have to be carry on.. and they cant be over 160WH .. 160WH - 100WH you can take 2 , under 100WH as many as the weight / airline will allow ..

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Yeah as Dave says , its basically a passport for gear, doesn't matter what your going to do with it , but you can put the value estimates down to lower the deposit cost  .. and I would study up which pages need to be torn out and where customs should sign and date etc .. the biggest hassle Ive had is customs officials doing it wrong ! .. then its big hassle getting your deposit back ..you really have to check them and often Im telling them how to fill the thing in properly .. many have no clue what a carnet is .. also don't check in your batteries if they are lithium have to be carry on.. and they cant be over 160WH .. 160WH - 100WH you can take 2 , under 100WH as many as the weight / airline will allow ..

Thanks Robyn! I'll better do a bit more research.

1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

Thanks Robyn! I'll better do a bit more research.

It might be different within Europe but the international Carnets I use , you have to leave a deposit with the carnet association or what ever it is , before you leave, and its a percentage of the total value , but you can "be conservative" with those valuations ..within reason ? ..  I use an agent now to do it as its a bit of a pain but its do able yourself if not a ton of gear ..  you can punt it and hope for the best and even some crews on real shoots do .. but you are rolling the dice to some extent, usually the problem being coming back into your home country , if you have proof when you bought it , receipts etc .. and you don't have some production company angry with you for not "doing it properly" .. could take your chances ..   you will probably get more trouble if you try to check in lithium batteries TBH ..  ? 

• Premium Member

Be aware of the flight restrictions regarding your batteries. Depending on the type, they may not be allowed on a commercial flight due to fire risk. There’s a lot of information about this online. 

G