Tropical forest Interior scene

Hey guys,

I have a really cool job coming up. I have acquired quite an amazing location to shoot a skincare brand ad. It is a huge dome with transparent windows containing a fake tropical forest. In the middle of the dome stands a tall "outlook" post from which one can put lights. It has a 360 view, so i can create a large source from the top.

The goal is to create a stunning ad that will feel dreamy and etheral. The look is going to be with cool, muted tones and silvery , glowing highlights.

now, if you will please check out this reference film for the shoot. The reference film is created more or less as a shot to shot storyboard, so this is what we are refernecing at all times and the look we need to recreate.

we are basically going for this look. I have decided to shoot it during the night to better be able to control the lighting. Also because this is a large transparent dome. So basically i can treat is a an alternative studio, working from scratch.

The general idea is to fill A LOT of haze into the room and light with a 6k hmi from the top as a "moonlight" or sunlight if you will. I specifically do not want it to look like a realistic night scene, nor a day scene. It has to be dreamy and etheral with pools of light and good contrast, but it can't go black. 

I will light the talent seperatly, but my main concern is the "room" tone. I am not sure whether the 6k through the tree tops into haze will provide enough spread of light.

also, rain will be sprayed on the day which may also catch some of the light.

I will shoot quite tight, as you can see in the video. We will at no point have to fill an area with light of more than 15x15 meters. I highly doubt we will see the model in full figure at any point.

The canopy is quite thick, but i do believe sufficient amounts of light can pass through.

Am i heading in the right direction?

anything you would add that would play to the etheral and dreamy feeling?

could you guys see any concerns?

• Premium Member

I don’t think you will really need any ‘room tone’ fill for the look you want unless you’re shooting on slow speed film. I suspect the fog/haze will do most of the heavy lifting for you contrast wise.

But if you’re shooting up into the sky towards the light like the reference, then you might need something up there additional unless you want the sky to go black between the wisps of haze. Maybe a large backlit rag, hard to say for sure.

I would also consider maybe going with multiple units to get more spread thru the trees. But that could get tricky if you need to look up all the time and only want to see one ‘sun.’ So it may be hard to say exactly what’s needed until you diagram all of your shots out on an overhead.

Hey Satsuki,

Pretty much my thoughts aswell!

the rigging of a big overhead would be a mess, so i might be constricted in shooting upwards, but i dont think that would matter too much.

I will consider multiple sources instead of 1. Gives me the ability to be a bit more flexible on the day aswell.

thanks!