Making a Short Film Every Month // Month One - April

Hey,

Today is the day. After many hours of preparation, shooting, editing and sound design, I can finally show you what I was working on for the last 31 days. It is not long and structurally complex but It has taught me a lot about filmmaking.

This blog is available as a weekly newsletter. The newsletter will contain exclusive content like scripts, storyboards, inspiration, behind the scenes and more! My newsletter is available here. Please consider subscribing, thanks!

My lessons for this month:

1. Editing is crucial (It takes time to feel the rhythm)

2. Don’t forget continuity (You will thank or hate yourself while editing)

3. Get as much coverage as possible (One shooting day became two because of not enough coverage

I would be very happy to read your feedback here in the forum or on Youtube!

Cheers!

-Leo

Edited by Leonardo Thaci
Fixed Youtube Link
  • Like 1

Oh that's cool and congratulations on giving yourself a challenge to learn from the experience.

I'm actually planing something similar in about a week, just because I and my partner have some down time and I want to play around with something I intend to use in a feature later on in the year.

By the way very nice grading.

What did you shoot on and edito/grade?
(I saw in another post you had a BM Pocket 4K guess you used that one)

How much time did you spend on different aspects of the film?

Regards

Edited by Vital Butinar

20 hours ago, Vital Butinar said:

Oh that's cool and congratulations on giving yourself a challenge to learn from the experience.

I'm actually planing something similar in about a week, just because I and my partner have some down time and I want to play around with something I intend to use in a feature later on in the year.

By the way very nice grading.

What did you shoot on and edito/grade?
(I saw in another post you had a BM Pocket 4K guess you used that one)

How much time did you spend on different aspects of the film?

Regards

Thank you!

So far, I'm very glad about my decision to challenge myself on a monthly basis. I highly recommend it, I've already learned so much!

You're right, I used my BMPCC4K with the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and the Canon FD 50mm 1.4. The 50mm on my camera gives me a focal length of 100mm. It's a great addition to the wide 18-35mm (30-60mm with the Viltrox Speedbooster)

The key light was lit by two GVM 480 LS panels shining through diffusion. In the back is a practical light, both lights were set to 3200K.

The grade consists of small adjustments of exposure and color balance. I added a KD2383 D60 Conversion LUT and film grain at the end.

The most time spent was in post-production. I would say about 3 to 4 days. Planing and shooting were quite easy but I had to add a second shooting day because of missing shots. For general editing I used DaVinci Resolve Studio and for sound design Audition.

Here's a complete list of the gear used for this short:

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • Viltrox Speedbooster
  • Sigma 18-35mm 1.8
  • Canon FD 50mm 1.4
  • ISO was set to 800
  • Aperture was most of the time set to 2.8
  • Two GVM 480LS set to 3200K
  • IKEA dimmable light bulb set to the warmest setting

Regards

-Leo

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leonardo Thaci said:

Thank you!

So far, I'm very glad about my decision to challenge myself on a monthly basis. I highly recommend it, I've already learned so much!

You're right, I used my BMPCC4K with the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and the Canon FD 50mm 1.4. The 50mm on my camera gives me a focal length of 100mm. It's a great addition to the wide 18-35mm (30-60mm with the Viltrox Speedbooster)

The key light was lit by two GVM 480 LS panels shining through diffusion. In the back is a practical light, both lights were set to 3200K.

The grade consists of small adjustments of exposure and color balance. I added a KD2383 D60 Conversion LUT and film grain at the end.

The most time spent was in post-production. I would say about 3 to 4 days. Planing and shooting were quite easy but I had to add a second shooting day because of missing shots. For general editing I used DaVinci Resolve Studio and for sound design Audition.

Here's a complete list of the gear used for this short:

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • Viltrox Speedbooster
  • Sigma 18-35mm 1.8
  • Canon FD 50mm 1.4
  • ISO was set to 800
  • Aperture was most of the time set to 2.8
  • Two GVM 480LS set to 3200K
  • IKEA dimmable light bulb set to the warmest setting

Regards

-Leo

That's great!

I've got the Pocket 4K also with the Viltrox focal reducer and a bunch of Rokinon prime lenses. Not much but I love it. 

My girlfriend and I have some rudimentary equipment that we use when we shoot our own stuff.

Tascam DR60 and a boom mic and a couple of red head lights.

But usually the basic stuff that we've got is usually enough to start of doing something nice.

Well again congratulations again.