How sharp are these lenses?

Michael Maier

Hi, cosmicar i think you'll find is a c-mount cctv lens with manual aperature, designed for use with cctv/security cameras. Possibly ok optically around f5.6, forget it around f2.0. If you intend to use such a lens on a beaulieu/bolex be carefull the c-mount thread is longer than switar,angenieux and schneider primes. May force the turret away from the camera body. Suspect that other make is also a cctv lens, not really designed for 8/16mm camera applications. Andy

[quote=k25rip,Sep 10 2005, 08:45 PM]

Hi, cosmicar i think you'll find is a c-mount cctv lens with manual aperature, designed for use with cctv/security cameras. Possibly ok optically around f5.6, forget it around f2.0.

Sorry I am disagree here: I have tested fully the 12.5mm/f1.4 Cosmicar/Pentax lens to my RX5 super16 and I can tell you that it's absolutely sharp even at full open!! This lens is, with the Kinoptiks 5.7mm and 9mm (A-Cam) and the Cooke Kinetal 12.5mm (rare en c-mount), the only wide angles c-mount that I know which cover plenty the super16 area, because it was designed for the old 1" tube video cameras. Next week I am going to test the Computar 12.5mm/f1.3 lens, also a 1" TV lens. These lenses are selling in ebay by insignificant bucks... (I am not the seller)

If you intend to use such a lens on a beaulieu/bolex be carefull the c-mount thread is longer than switar,angenieux and schneider primes. May force the turret away from the camera body.

The Cosmicar 12.5mm doesn't have this problem. It's posible to use it at infinite (shortest distance to the gate) moving the turret.

All the best

I stand corrected, i have only ever used cosmicar lenses with single chip cctv cameras, and they go soft at the edges when wide open. If they are so good for film cameras why dont pentax/cosmicar market them for film cameras?

just found this

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/C22525.htm

well i have access to cosmicar lenses, may give one a try on my beaulieu 7008.

Edited by k25rip

• 5 years later...

[quote=k25rip,Sep 10 2005, 08:45 PM]

Hi, cosmicar i think you'll find is a c-mount cctv lens with manual aperature, designed for use with cctv/security cameras. Possibly ok optically around f5.6, forget it around f2.0.

Sorry I am disagree here: I have tested fully the 12.5mm/f1.4 Cosmicar/Pentax lens to my RX5 super16 and I can tell you that it's absolutely sharp even at full open!! This lens is, with the Kinoptiks 5.7mm and 9mm (A-Cam) and the Cooke Kinetal 12.5mm (rare en c-mount), the only wide angles c-mount that I know which cover plenty the super16 area, because it was designed for the old 1" tube video cameras. Next week I am going to test the Computar 12.5mm/f1.3 lens, also a 1" TV lens. These lenses are selling in ebay by insignificant bucks... (I am not the seller)

If you intend to use such a lens on a beaulieu/bolex be carefull the c-mount thread is longer than switar,angenieux and schneider primes. May force the turret away from the camera body.

The Cosmicar 12.5mm doesn't have this problem. It's posible to use it at infinite (shortest distance to the gate) moving the turret.

All the best

Hi, Sorry but I had to lift this old post, I bought a cosmic 6mm to use in a beaulieu 4008 ZM4, just as you said I think I have to turn the screw to have the sharp focus, does anyone know how many laps have to take to stay back with the correct focus? I think with the experience that I did get 1 / 4 back less.

Regards

Jorge