B&H Filmo 70 DA

Michael Leake

• Premium Member

The B&H Filmo 70 DA, is it a double claw side by side pull down, thus using both perfs of the 2R film.  Or, is it a a double claw in line pull down using only one side of the 2R perfs?

There is a possibly internet-driven, anecdotal theory out there that the color of the paint of the various Filmo 70 cameras denotes if the camera is 1R or 2R. This is, that if the camera is painted black, then it is 2R and if it is painted light brown or green (military) then it is 1R. I wouldn't go by this because I've seen a KRM (late US military version of the HRM) that was 2R and painted green, as well as a DR which was 2R. I think the customer may have had the option to order the camera according to spec, certainly the military would have. Add to all this the fact that the whole system from the DA on, is largely interchangeable, part-for-part, and someone in the last 90 years could have swapped out or modified the shuttle and the gate. 

Phil Forrest

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Available 16-mm. stocks perforated on both sides:

• Kodak Ektachrome ISO 100 Daylight 7294, 100' rolls from the Film Photography Project
  • Kodak Ektachrome ISO 100 Daylight 7294, 400' rolls
  • Kodak Vision 3, ISO 500 Tungsten 7219 color negative, 400' rolls
  • Kodak Vision color intermediate film 3242, 2000' rolls
  • Fomapan R 100 ISO, 100', longer rolls ask Foma Bohemia for conditions
  • ORWO UN 54 ISO 100 panchromatic negative film, ask FilmoTec for conditions
  • ORWO N 75 ISO 320 panchromatic negative film, ditto
  • ORWO MA 10, colourless polyester base, ditto
  • ORWO print film, ditto

• Premium Member

• Kodak Ektachrome ISO 100 Daylight 7294, 400' rolls
  • Kodak Vision 3, ISO 500 Tungsten 7219 color negative, 400' rolls

Sadly, you can't actually get these. I know Kodak has a stock number for them, but that's only because when the studios need it, they need some sort of catalog number. You can't order one or a few camera rolls from Kodak in 16mm double perf anymore. Only large bulk orders that a studio would make and there is a huge lead time (over a month) plus no return policy. 

• Kodak Vision color intermediate film 3242, 2000' rolls

This is shot at an ISO of around 6 and comes out ok. That's a far cry from anything really usable, especially in an older camera that may not have a fast lens. For sure not really an option. 

Where I'm glad the film photography project (and a few others) add an extra perf on the other side of new/modern stocks. That's really the only way to get film that's color and will work well. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

So, this B&H filmo 70 DA I acquired for free with a photo enlarger, (a Revere double 8mm clockwork that uses Kodak metal cartridges) is turning into a what-if project. It is a double claw pull down. I purchased 2 Bell&Howell 16mm Filmo 70 Series FEED Sprocket  which are 1 perf sprockets, and I will cleverly install them and remove one of the pull down claws, all so this camera can handle single perf film.  Why??? just to see if it will work ML

If you do it carefully and do it right, it will work great. You MUST take the whole shutter out of the camera, remove the shuttle (which has the claws), recheck about 5 times before you make the cut, then completely remove the appropriate claw and then file it down smooth, making sure to remove burrs. The shuttle pins need to be reinstalled correctly or you can get drag on the shuttle. The 70D mechanism is amazing in simplicity and reliability when properly lubed and maintained.

Phil Forrest

• Upvote 1