Monopod with the Arri 2c?

Margaret Salmon

Hi,

I'm considering buying a monopod for working with the 2c... is this nuts?

It seems there's a Gitzo, the GM4562 Series 4, which may be able to cope with the weight.  I've been working with the original shoulder mount (more like a brace...) and finding it's not enough for long days of handheld.

I'm aware of options for tripods, I have a flat base (which might be working...), but need to be light and fast for this production. Has anyone tried working with a monopod with this model? 

Thanks!

Margaret

If you were in the USA I'd  say buy one at BH to try. You can always send it back for a refund. If you can do that where you are at...do it. You just have to test things. 

I used a monopod for a parade. But generally don't like them. But for the parade it was ok. 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

If you were in the USA I'd  say buy one at BH to try. You can always send it back for a refund. If you can do that where you are at...do it. You just have to test things. 

I used a monopod for a parade. But generally don't like them. But for the parade it was ok. 

Good luck!

Thanks Daniel!

I tried one borrowed from a friend since posting and it would be ideal for just that extra bit of stability... except the power cable blocks the base. I can probably source something to adapt it, I'll post if I do. I used a monopod with a Bolex for a shoot in a remote forrest a couple years ago and it was very useful - though a tripod is a better option. 

• Premium Member
On 5/13/2021 at 3:45 AM, Margaret Salmon said:

Hi,

I'm considering buying a monopod for working with the 2c... is this nuts?

It seems there's a Gitzo, the GM4562 Series 4, which may be able to cope with the weight.  I've been working with the original shoulder mount (more like a brace...) and finding it's not enough for long days of handheld.

I'm aware of options for tripods, I have a flat base (which might be working...), but need to be light and fast for this production. Has anyone tried working with a monopod with this model? 

Thanks!

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I have an Arriflex 3C, very similar to your 2c. I haven't tried using a monopod with the flat base motor yet, but it seems like it should work just fine. I've put fully rigged Sony F5 and Red cameras on my Manfrotto monopod with no issue. Also have done it with my 16mm Canon Scoopic, though that is much lighter. You'd want a beefy monopod, and I'd go directly from the 3/8-16 screw into the base, rather than using a ball head in-between. It seems like the Gitzo you specified has a max payload of 66lbs, so you should be ok.

One thing that I've noticed when using the monopod this way - it can be very difficult to get shots with a stable horizon if you have a long camera build. My Sony F5 with 30-105mm Canon Cine Zoom and a battery on the back gets pretty long, and it's easy for the weight to pull the camera one way, and then the other. It can feel like you're on a boat at times, trying to keep the shot stable. So the lighter you can keep the load, and the more centered over the monopod, the more stable your footage will be. Use 200' mags and small prime lenses if possible!

Never think much of crooked shots. I do mostly still work. I correct the horizon easily, so it is not a big deal.

Does hi class movie software tweak the horizon if slightly off? My cheap Movavi software does not. (As far as I know.) 

Another use for a monopod is as a bludgeon.  In NYC collapsible batons are outlawed. Same with little key chain Kuboton sticks. I used to carry a monopod for a bludgeon if I was attacked. But it had an issue with coming loose. You can Loctite / glue it so it never comes loose, but it loses it main use of a camera rest for tall shots.

Of course all this was before the corrosive virus and the summer of love in 2020. All that changed self defense immensely. A bludgeon is not much defense in today's NYC with the zombie hoards, but still it may save ones life in a pinch, so it is better than nothing.

One other thing...you had better have a good excuse if you glue up your monopod if the police get involved. Self defense weapons are illegal in NYC. You can have a concealed knife, but it has to be used for tool purposes. It is illegal to admit it is for self defense. It is also illegal to have any pocket knife that can be opened with one hand. So check out current laws, don't follow what I say. I don't keep up with the laws.

Another use for a monopod is for stretch shots. I used one to get above the crowds for this shot. 

the-kiss-copyright-2014-daniel-d-teoli-j

I had a remote release so I could fire shots off. 

With trees and things you can use little attachments. But not for big cams.

pedco-ultrapod-go.jpg?w=509&h=339

pedco-ultra-pod-velcro.jpg

pedco-ultrapod.jpg

Internet Photos – Fair Use

For the documentary cameraman...they work mostly on the fly. So they pride themselves in bringing back the goods with no support. But the closest thing to freedom if you want a support is the monopod. (Unless you got the steadicam.)

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

Yes, horizon level is easy to fix in a stills frame. Not as easy in motion pictures if it’s constantly drifting back and forth during a shot.

You could try to stabilize the footage thru something like Warp Stabilizer in Adobe Premiere, but it’s much easier and simpler to shoot it correctly in the first place!

19 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Hi Margaret,

I have an Arriflex 3C, very similar to your 2c. I haven't tried using a monopod with the flat base motor yet, but it seems like it should work just fine. I've put fully rigged Sony F5 and Red cameras on my Manfrotto monopod with no issue. Also have done it with my 16mm Canon Scoopic, though that is much lighter. You'd want a beefy monopod, and I'd go directly from the 3/8-16 screw into the base, rather than using a ball head in-between. It seems like the Gitzo you specified has a max payload of 66lbs, so you should be ok.

One thing that I've noticed when using the monopod this way - it can be very difficult to get shots with a stable horizon if you have a long camera build. My Sony F5 with 30-105mm Canon Cine Zoom and a battery on the back gets pretty long, and it's easy for the weight to pull the camera one way, and then the other. It can feel like you're on a boat at times, trying to keep the shot stable. So the lighter you can keep the load, and the more centered over the monopod, the more stable your footage will be. Use 200' mags and small prime lenses if possible!

Many thanks Satsuki! I was given a flat base for the 2c but haven't attempted it yet - the filmmaker who passed it on to me had forgotten how it worked and I've yet to find a guide video or manual (or had much time to search..).

I was hesitant to use the flat base for the work with the monopod as I was hoping for a quick change-over from pure handheld. I'm filming in people's homes with one assistant, multiple locations in a day and schlepping all the kit is also, well, you know. But the base could be the solution and will force me to engage with it!  I'm using a set of Schneider Xenon primes, a light battery belt, but with 400ft mag's - it should be ok with the Gitzo's payload, as you say, and should be more balanced. I'll report back on how it goes...

I have a Scoopic too - great camera ?

• Premium Member

Yes, there’s nothing quick about moving from the pistol grip to another rig with the 2C!

I suppose you could mount an Arca Swiss plate to the 3/8-16 hole in the camera body behind the pistol grip and put a quick release plate on the monopod for fast switching. You kinda need three hands to manage that though. 

The best solution for me was to just put the camera down on a CineSaddle or similar pillow between takes. But then you have the battery belt cable getting in your way when you want to step away from the camera.

The CineSaddle has a shoulder strap so sometimes I rest the camera on it while its hanging above my belly, which at least takes the weight off of the arms until I’m ready to start shooting again.

• Like 1

Margaret, 

I put my 2B up on some cheap Chinese-made sticks and it holds up fine. Very light and portable. I would not leave it unattended because you're definitely in the danger zone on the amount of weight, but if you're standing next to it anyway and you need to get in and out of the location all on your own body, this works. My Cinema Products flat base makes everything easier. You just have to be sure to keep track of any loose gears when you install it, and make sure that the belt in the base is not worn out. 

- Webster

2021-05-02 17.47.55_cropped.jpg

Edited by Webster Colcord