Quentin Tarantino .

Last night I watched " Once upon a time in Hollywood" Looks beautiful shot on film and Panavision . Here it comes. It now has proved to me that Tarantino is the most overated  film maker for a long time . I await the flak !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, John Holland said:

Last night I watched " Once upon a time in Hollywood" Looks beautiful shot on film and Panavision . Here it comes. It now has proved to me that Tarantino is the most overated  film maker for a long time . I await the flak !

Hi John, 

Good to hear from you! What did you not like about the film? 

I’ve only seen it once in the theater, but I enjoyed the experience immensely. I’ve found that most of Mr. Tarantino’s films play better in a packed theater, preferably in a midnight showing. Knowing Quentin’s preferences, perhaps that is the way they were all intended to be seen. 

The only films of his that I didn’t enjoy were ‘Kill Bill, Vol.1’ and ‘The Hateful Eight.’ Perhaps his most gratuitously violent films, without enough comedy to lighten the black mood. I saw the former in a near empty theater on a date, and the latter in 70mm with my mom. Big mistake on both counts!

I think ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ is a bit meanderingly indulgent, although it’s namesake films by his hero Sergio Leone are also equally indulgent, so perhaps it is appropriate. I find the film’s sprawl and digressions to be charming and amusing. I think the tension is well-earned, and not knowing where the film is headed, the sharp-right-turn-into-catharsis worked for me - the theater erupted with shocked laughter for nearly the whole sequence when I saw it. It was a thrilling theatrical experience. 

• Premium Member

Based on what criteria? He's one of the very few writer/directors who directs big budget movies that find a big audience, that is not a remake nor a superhero movie. He loves actors and has a very good command of his craft. I truly enjoyed Once upon a time - my favorite of his is still Jackie Brown.

Edited by David Sekanina
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

I like Quentin's movies. He's bombastic and in your face, but it works. Every filmmaker has some aspects of that, Quentin is just more visible than most. I really liked Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, it was a great character piece and it tells a really cool story. 

My friend said the only good part of the movie was when some girl got her face bashed into a pulp on the mantle or something. Anyone else agree with this take? I haven't seen the film.

I think Tarantino is phenomenal at the style he goes for but he can seem overrated, by no fault of his own, the fact the market really doesn't embrace auteurs anymore so he's one of 4 guys left to prop up yearly.

Edited by Max Field

Pointless movie in my opinion... if I scratched off Tarantino's name and wrote a random name for the same movie, I doubt it would gain this much enthusiasm. There is definitely the it's a Tarantino film therefore I have to like it mentality. Talk to any young film school student, you'll get the Tarantino is the God's gift to us humans consensus. I don't care much for a director who copies everything from style to stories mixed in with a few tricks in each movie. I admire his passion and knowledge of film history but find his films very self-indulgent and pretentious. I am aware that I am speaking against the "Master" and I will get some reactions but oh well... Jackie Brown was my favorite Tarantino movie because it didn't have the usual Tarantino tricks like all other films of his. Let the public shunning begin... haha.

• Like 1

I went through a little bit of a Tarantino fanboy phase in college, but fortunately it waned. As such, I wasn't tremendously excited to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but it has become my new all-time favorite Tarantino film. Perhaps it helps that I had just been in Hollywood a week or two before seeing it (we even saw them setting up for the film's premiere), so it was partly just fun seeing all the places I had been to during my trip. Beyond that though, I found it absolutely captivating.

I get why people would think it's boring; I even found myself thinking to myself "I should be bored right now...but somehow I'm totally engaged." I was just so in love with the vibe. The acting, production design, and cinematography stuck with me for days after seeing it.

I think the best description of the movie compared it to the Hitchcock "bomb under the table" idea. We all know this is leading up to the Manson murders, so Tarantino could have the characters do seemingly unrelated or unimportant things (Sharon Tate seeing her own movie, for instance) and have the audience thinking to themselves "Is this really going to happen? Is it really going where I think it is?" The whole movie is a "bomb under the table."

I also appreciate that this movie feels so mature compared to some of his other movies, and which is another reason it has become my new favorite (interesting considering my previous favorite was Kill Bill...) Frankly, my least favorite part was the ending, which I imagine most people will be drawn to since it's the most "Tarantino."