Anyone use Youtube-dl? Is it safe?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

"...youtube-dl is a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter, version 2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+, and it is not platform specific. It should work in your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it however you like. The project is currently being developed at GitHub."

https://youtube-dl.org/

Is it safe or will it screw up the computer in any way?

I have junk computers to test  these type of things, but I don't want to risk my junk computers unnecessarily as I only have a couple of them.

I had used an internet site for ripping audio off of YouTube, but they gave out ransomware if you were not careful what you clicked on. I gave up on them and use a Sony USB recorder for audio now. So sad how things are nowadays with scams.

I've been using a screen recorder with good success for YT video. Except for the commercials that pop up periodically. The other hassle is you have to monitor the recording in real time. I'd rather download and go away to do something else if I can. 

Thanks

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.